• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

$25 million...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Seems to be such a hard life for some... A couple in Perth tell their story that they are selling their home because it`s starting to get too big for them.
How awful it must be just the 2 of you living in a seven bedroom and seven bathroom home.
They say it`s for sale not because they want the money but just because they want to downsize.
If that`s true then maybe you have too much so please just give me some or give to a charity.

Why would you want such a big property in the first place unless it`s just to show off your wealth.

Oh and the asking price... Only $25 million dollars...

Happy2

Legend Member
Look at some of our golfers and tennis players who have never won a title
yet live in humongous mansions in Florida Speak with a yank accent within 6 months Yet still want to be classed as the poor old "Aussie battler"
Then like some eg The Scud they can come down to earth with a thump Having to live
within his means the poor darlin

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Been thinking... seven rooms and seven bathrooms. Maybe each room has a different sexual theme??

Maybe I`m starting to feel jealous.

Happy2

Legend Member
And if it is a house of ill repute At $25 mill or 3and a bit per room
I think it may well be a bit over $300 per Hr

W

WRXXR

I think in this case large rooms = art and flash furniture!

Still if you can, why not!

If you had a 25m house you probably wouldn't have a mortgage but let's say you put down 5m deposit, the remaining 20m over 30 years will cost 61k a fortnight! Pocketmoney

Last edited by a moderator:

oz-surfer

Gold Member
if the working class simply focussed on themselves. their own lives and trying to get ahead; instead of critising others for their wealth, success and risk taking; everyone would be better off.

Governments would then no longer have to pander to this common aussie trait (tall-poppy syndrome) by intoducing policy just to appease the workling class and their votes, rather than policy that's best for the county.

T

TB

Its called equity...most properties go up in price over time, and over time most people want to either get a better property or scale down .No ones needs stay constant. Whats the problem.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Its called equity...most properties go up in price over time, and over time most people want to either get a better property or scale down .No ones needs stay constant. Whats the problem.

Good on them for making an extra $5million based on equity...

The only problem I have is understanding why 2 people would want a home so big in the first place...
How often do you think that they would see the inside of each bedroom?

F

Farm Boy

A change is nice but pay commission and stamp duty every time you role the dice .

T

Trevsa10

My my my heart bleeds for them hey wait a minuite how about the rest of us who have to go with out and struggle to just keep our three bedroom one bathroom home on struggle street . My idear is if you got a $25000,ooo house you got fat to much

W

WRXXR

If they worked hard and made smart investments then good on them. Perfectly entitled to spend their money how they wish.

5 years ago I was on struggle street complaining everyday to anyone who would listen about working 50-60 hours a week for 35k p/a and then one day I realised I only had my self to blame so I went out and did something about it. Now I have even less money in the bank :D

Plenty of rags to riches stories but unless you win lotto the only way to do that is get off your arse, stop whinging and do something about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BigBlackCock

Let's be fair to these guys, he's been taking a risk in mining since 1971. His arthiritis is getting the better of him. Also, the building with a few architectural modifications may well be made into 3 or 4 apartments with million dollar views. We all know that houses may be WORTH something or a valuer may put a price on it but that doesn't mean it'll sell for that amount for years perhaps.

They didn't spend $25 million to buy it, nor have the sold it so they hardly have the money either. I suspect they agreed to do the story with The West in order to create publicity for it.

And to be fair again, they may well have donated money to charity and not made a big deal about it. And I refuse to believe that the vast majority of succesful businessmen never came close to losing the lot sometimes if not for good fortune and a few favours called. Some people were doomed to lose all their money in the stock exchange due to the Kobe earthquake in '95/96? Luckily they held on tight and made their fortune about a year later. The roller coaster rides can be knuckle whitening. This guy may have had such moments.

Why the resentment billy bones?

Applecross mansion could set record
Lisa Calautti, The West Australian
May 14, 2011,

An Applecross mansion on a 2508sqm block with a 39m river frontage could set a new record for Perth's southern suburbs if it fetches anywhere near its $25 million asking price.

It could also become one of Perth's top-five house sales, currently led by the $57.5 million sale of iron ore heiress Angela Bennett's Mosman Park home in December 2009.

Real Estate Institute of WA figures show the record for a home or apartment in Applecross was $19.9 million for two apartments at the Raffles building in September 2009, and $13.25 for a Duncraig Road home in February.

Built on the Majestic Hotel site and completed in 2004, the Applecross residence, the dream home of its owners Peter and Pauline Langford, has 1500sqm of indoor and outdoor living space.

It has seven bedrooms and seven bathrooms across three levels, travertine flooring, a library, a gymnasium, a separate self-contained apartment and an eight-car garage.

After buying the land in the mid-1990s, the Langfords spent a number of years perfecting the home's design.

The eventual design was inspired by the work of American architect Addison Mizner, well known for his signature style of Moroccan, Italian and Spanish influences, as well as for designing extravagant Florida mansions.

So intent on creating a timeless architectural masterpiece, the couple flew their architect, Allan McDonald overseas for inspiration

"I was doing work in Germany at the time and flew him to Florida. We spent the week there looking at houses and we'd come back to our hotel every night and sort through all these ideas," Mr Langford said.

"We spent the best part of two-and-a-half years messing with the design. Once we finished it was built in 14 to 15 months."

Mr Langford is a self-made millionaire who formed his own mining service business Beltreco in 1971, which now has 23 operations nationally.

He said selling the house had not been a decision he and his wife had made lightly.

After suffering painful arthritis in his hands and feet, retiree Mr Langford said it was time to move on, but exactly where was tough.

"Where do you go after living here," he said.

"It has been a big issue for the two of us. We've looked at apartments in South Perth and Crawley …it's a real wrestle I've got to tell you."

The home has been on the market for a couple of weeks and Mr Langford said a few people had shown interest.

"We are not selling it for financial reasons, so if it does not sell it's not as though we are stuck living under the Guildford bridge," he said.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
No real resentment just feel that those that can spend that type of money could do a lot better with it, how many people out there that deserve a break but can`t seem to get one.
Pensioners saying they can`t afford a heater, people with not enough food in their cupboards, sick people saying they can`t afford some of the medicine they need etc.

Wouldn`t it make then feel better if they invested the time to find more worthy candidates that might need a helping hand and they could still live in a $5 million dollar home if they wished...

T

Trevsa10

I am not the least bit envious and good luck to them .BUt what gets up my nose is we are getting a huge gap between those who have exhorbant amouts of money and those who despite a life times of hard work have next to none . My mother in law3 struggles to buy food let alone to pay for her power and she lives in a one bedroom unit in a modist retirment village . There are more riches to rages stories than rages to riches > And as a farmer I now you have to wonder what is going on farmer gets $ 2.50 a kg for his banana you see your bananas at woolies at $ 13 a kg good god someone is making money but not you . IF you can pay $25 million for a house you have far to much no matter how you got it .

Happy2

Legend Member
I dont really care if someone spends millions on a home Though I do often ask why?
But a person in the business world who has that much to spend may well have employed
hundreds of people and given them a opportunity to own a house of their own. If just a little bit more modest in scale.

B

BigBlackCock

Interesting responses. Remember that this guy didn't pay $25 million for it, that's what he's been told by a real estate agent what it's worth. He has yet to get it.

I suspect a property developer may well buy it and change it to reap more money. $25 million converted into 10 apartments and resold for $4 million each = $40 million. Hey, anyone want to form a syndicate?

Happy2

Legend Member
BBC If every bloke on this site could recoup what we have spent on W/L's we
would probably have enough for your syndicate and some more besides

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Anybody know what W/L put on their tax returns for occupation??

Do they class themselves as chicken farmers since they raise a few cocks???