Why is your life a load of bollocks?

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
I can't lay claim to this post but found it interesting. The thread was locked and contributed by someone who's cancelled his membership from 6 years ago or so. I liked it though and it's relevant 'til today.

I turned 50 recently. I don't consider myself old but I'm not Peter Pan either. As anyone discovered (moreso as you get older) that many of the things we "learnt" really don't hold water anymore (if they ever did to begin with)?

No, this isn't one of those "All I learnt about life I did in Primary school" sort of things but over the more recent years I've had to deconstruct a whole lot of bunkum:

1. Just because you study hard and work hard doesn't guarantee success - alot of your success at work depends on whom you know, office politics and being at the right place at the right time. There are HEAPS of conmen and conwomen out there.

2. A good person doesn't always get the girl. Fair heart has rarely won fair lady and all that stuff about "what's on the inside is what counts" is a lot of BS. The cads and rotters of this girl always get the girls and yes, it pays to be good looking.

3. Being in debt is not good. But having savings isn't that great either 'cos the CoL just gets higher and higher. Certainly you can bet, there are few sure things to bet on. Still, better not to be in debt.

4. Lots of bad things happen to good people. The meek shall not inherit the earth and the a-holes do succeed.

5. It's important to keep healthy if not keep fit as well. But finding 30 minutes to do it is getting harder and harder. But I'm still finding it. If you've no health, you've nothing really.

6. Religion to many people is like having an imaginary friend. They really believe if you pray hard enough, it'll all work out. I think the jury is still out on this one.

7. The average human being is very much below average. It's getting harder to find the good in people - HEAPS of people love animals, sponsor starving kids in Africa, are concerned about refugees etc but won't show enough empathy to invite someone obviously lonely over Christmas or New Year to come over and spend time with their families. It's interesting that when a suicide happens that so many people say "I didn't know that X was hurting. If only I'd known". What they really should be saying is "If only I'd bothered to care".

All this sounds pretty negative doesn't it. It sounds pretty depressing. Is that because it's all true or mostly?

Yup, at 50 I've discovered that life's too short to drink bad wine and really all you've got is yourself and if you're lucky you've family.

Pluck a Duck

Fnck a duck!
Bronze Member
Loadacrap! Sick and tired of all these people crying poor. Get a haircut and get a real job.

Pluck a Duck

Fnck a duck!
Bronze Member
It's called life for a reason. Get used to it. Life's unfair - it'd be a whole lot easier if we accepted that instead of whingeing away.

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
Ivor, you're wasting your talent. You should be a motivational speaker - ever thought of coaching the West Coast Eagles?

X

Xavier Jung

No one is "ordinary". Every Soul has unlimited potential. I will say it again, EVERY Soul has unlimited potential.

The real question is, why do so many of us not unlock it?