Where`s the respect???

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Just saw a promo for the TV show "Masterchef" and they seem to be implying that the Dala Lama will make an appearence.

What ever happened to respect for religion?

If they still had some do you think they would even think to such a high profile in religious circles to appear??

I guess it`s just another example on how low some go just to get ratings....

retrowolf

Horny Bugger
Gold Member
Ok, here's a question back for you. Why do religious personalities deserve respect? Do we respect the kids that still believe in santa when they are 10? To quote a favorite comedian of mine Mr Tim Minchin

"By the way,
Why is it OK
For people to pretend they can talk to the dead?
Is it not totally fucked in the head
Lying to some crying woman whose child has died
And telling her you’re in touch with the other side?
That’s just fundamentally sick
Do we need to clarify that there’s no such thing as a psychic?
What, are we fucking 2?
Do we actually think that Horton Heard a Who?
Do we still think that Santa brings us gifts?
That Michael Jackson hasn’t had facelifts?
Are we still so stunned by circus tricks
That we think that the dead would
Wanna talk to pricks
Like John Edwards?"

Humanity should have evolved out of religion centuries ago.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Ok, here's a question back for you. Why do religious personalities deserve respect?
Not all I am sure but some of the Buddhist monks I have been able to associate with make a huge sacrifice,

They only eat vegetarian... If the plate has so much as touched meat before, even if washed 10000 times they still will not touch it.

Every night they stay in their rooms without even a hint of the female company some of us get via this forum.

They are stripped of all their personal belongings and wear only what is given to them.

These are just 3 examples that spring to mind. I am sure there is a lot more.

Maybe we don`t all believe in what they say but at least most are taught to show kindness to one another.... Something some of us are so unwilling to do...
Is`nt it better to believe that if we lead a good life now then we will have an even better life later then feel as if things could only get worse??

retrowolf

Horny Bugger
Gold Member
They only eat vegetarian... If the plate has so much as touched meat before, even if washed 10000 times they still will not touch it.

Every night they stay in their rooms without even a hint of the female company some of us get via this forum.

They are stripped of all their personal belongings and wear only what is given to them.

I just find these things sad. We only have one chance to live and experience life. Now I have no problem with wanting to make others life a better, more enriching experience, but to be lied to about an after life, or reincarnation etc, to the point where you are prepared to sacrifice so much, I think is just plain sad, and definitely no reason for respect.

To seek reason and truth, an end to poverty, disease, hunger, war, intolerance, injustice, and abuse, to strive to learn as much about the universe and the human condition as we can in our short and insignificant lives, these are things worthy of respect.

To follow blindly without question the dogma and religious teachings, in spite of or to prevent the advancement of knowledge, of uneducated men that died hundreds if not thousands of years ago is worth only scorn.

Fudd

Foundation Member
Just saw a promo for the TV show "Masterchef" and they seem to be implying that the Dala Lama will make an appearence.

If they still had some do you think they would even think to such a high profile in religious circles to appear??

I guess it`s just another example on how low some go just to get ratings....

.....and if the Dalai Lama does appear, then I would wonder why he consented to appearing on one of these idiotic reality shows.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Not that I can only ask Dala personally but maybe they offered a large donation or maybe he was trying to get more exposure for his cause...
I was wondering the same thing.

There are some total believers in religion such as those that donated gold to a monk in Thailand. When he died it is said he then donated a total of about 12 tonnes of gold bars back to the thai government.

And then the are also the non believers...

Everybody is entitled to a view.;D

W

WRXXXR

Forgotten about the Crusades, Spanish inquisition, siege of Jerusalem, taking 10% of members earnings (when in fact they are filthy rich) and the constant lies. Thats just the beginning... Certainly a lot of religious causes eh

I cant fathom how not eating meat, taking a vow of silence and staying in their rooms is helping rid the world of poverty, disease and facebook.

Personally i think Religion on a whole has bought on their lack of respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Langtrees VIP Perth 2

Well, retrowolf, I think that it's sad that you have such a one sided opinion of the world and everyone in it. Isn't religion a personal choice? Some people, myself included, believe that there is reason, proof and deep personal meaning behind the belief of a religion and afterlife, and for you to blatantly state that we are lied to or speak of it as if we're dimwitted idiots is extremely offensive! Look at the title of this thread...'Where's the respect???'

At the end of the day, most religions do have basic rules that if everyone followed, the world would be a much better place! Particularly religions such as Buddhism.

I suppose it's best to keep opinions that could cause offense such as this to oneself?

Lisa xxx

retrowolf

Horny Bugger
Gold Member
Well, retrowolf, I think that it's sad that you have such a one sided opinion of the world and everyone in it. Isn't religion a personal choice? Some people, myself included, believe that there is reason, proof and deep personal meaning behind the belief of a religion and afterlife, and for you to blatantly state that we are lied to or speak of it as if we're dimwitted idiots is extremely offensive! Look at the title of this thread...'Where's the respect???'

At the end of the day, most religions do have basic rules that if everyone followed, the world would be a much better place! Particularly religions such as Buddhism.

I suppose it's best to keep opinions that could cause offense such as this to oneself?

Lisa xxx

Did you even read my posts? What makes you think my opinion of the world is one sided ?(what does that cliché even mean?? the world is round for farks sake, doesn't have sides, I thought even the religious knew that by now)

It's unthoughtout responses like that, with out taking time to read and think, that only serve to prove my point.

Religion is not personal choice, it is actually the lack of personal choice, and rather the subscription to someone else's misguided myths and monsters.

I never said you weren't free to believe in what you want, jeeze I'd never tell a kid under 7 there was no santa, but if you are naive enough to think you haven't been lied to by organised religion, and delusional enough to have "proof" about how real the fairy's at the bottom of the garden are, then I'm sure you will have a wonderful life, because as they say "ignorance is bliss".

Oh, and what makes you think religion is a "hands off" topic where only religions people can discuss it and it must be respected?

My god ( :p ) this place is seriously getting my goat tonight. Time for a breather I think.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Lisa I don`t have a religion but I think if I was to try and follow one I think Buddhism would be my choice. The main thing they teach is to respect and treat everybody the same as you would want them to treat and respect you.
If people could do that then the world would be a better place....

L

Langtrees VIP Perth 2

Absolutely Billybones!
That's pretty much what I was trying to say.
Sorry if i offended you retrowolf, I think that we should just agree to definitely disagree...
The more I hear you're thoughts, the more naive I believe you are...funny that you think the same of me.
Good luck with your life and your views while living it, something tells me, perhaps a higher power (;-) that you're gonna need it...

Lisa xxx

W

WRXXXR

Plenty of people still have a lot of respect and kindness for others. But if it's guidance your after I'll let you rub my belly and give me 10% of your earnings. Hell, you can even come around on Sundays and worship me :D

People say us gen y'rs have it so easy and don't respect anyone else blah blah blah but I bet your grandparents said that about your parents... I dare say it's a comment every generation makes.

I guess the excellent thing in the modern day is that people can speak their thoughts on religion without fear of being tortured, threatened, killed or burned at the stake if they don't follow it !

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Farm Boy

I respect people who work hard provide for them self and family enjoy a good barbeque(beer chops +steak)and don't mind a good root.
and by the way some Tibetan Monks died fighting the Chinese invaders I respect them.