What are the police doing???

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Couple years ago somebody tried to steal my car, rang the police and asked them to come and take a look and got told, sure but we don`t know when we can be there.

Last year somebody broke my back window so I called them and they gave me a reference number and told me to simply contact my insurance.

6 months ago some kids tried to steal my scooter so I went to my local police station only to find out it was closed and only opens during office hours.

Last week I went with a friend to the big police station in Cannington to find out how to get police clearence for her job and was told she had to go fill out a form at the local post office.

Today I travelled about 150km around the city and some major highways and didn`t pass a single police car...

Just what work do they do these days????

A

Alecia the Foxx

Couple years ago somebody tried to steal my car, rang the police and asked them to come and take a look and got told, sure but we don`t know when we can be there.

Last year somebody broke my back window so I called them and they gave me a reference number and told me to simply contact my insurance.

6 months ago some kids tried to steal my scooter so I went to my local police station only to find out it was closed and only opens during office hours.

Last week I went with a friend to the big police station in Cannington to find out how to get police clearence for her job and was told she had to go fill out a form at the local post office.

Today I travelled about 150km around the city and some major highways and didn`t pass a single police car...

Just what work do they do these days????

Sounds bloody good to me, BB. I might move to where you are.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
ummm...as long as no one is bleeding, your alright.

The only time you find these species roaming about is when theres long weekend, or public holday when double demerit points are in effect. And maybe weekend when they release the booze buses in flocks.

Funny you say that, just the other day I was driving along Roe Hwy, straight off the traffic light 3 traffic policemen riding on their brand spanking new bikes, flashing their new toys quite proudly...lol...

W

WRXXXR

Bill, do a burnout and you'll quickly find police all over your arse...

Heaven forbid facing the risk of hoon law confiscation if i give my car a quick squirt in 2nd and 3rd..

If you want to find the police, buy a nice car, spend some money on it and they'll quickly hunt you down!

When I get home tonight I'll post a video that was leeked from Miami. That shit is crazy...

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
the human interaction part of the police dept as we new it is slowly becoming obsolete with the introduction of speed cameras, red-lite cameras. and they even have a camera along with computer software that will read number plates ( stolen or unregistered ) n they go off like when ya hit the jackpot on a gaming machine :)

John

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
The only time you find these species roaming about is when theres long weekend, or public holday when double demerit points are in effect. And maybe weekend when they release the booze buses in flocks.

You forgot to mention some big events where they seem to have a ringside seat yet us common people have to pay a small fortune just to get inside.

F

Farm Boy

Billy next time someone is in the process of steeling your car /braking into your house ring your locale police station find the number do not use triple zero and tell them
"Someone is trying to steal my car have a little sob and then add AND I HAVE JUST SHOT THEM " lots of cops will come very quickly.

viper

Gold Member
If it is like Qld there is a lack of police. I considered joining but working shift work for 41K straight up and having to deal with society's scum well it seems to be a calling in life. Perhaps its the same there. The system is changing less humans and more machines for multiple reasons.

sunyun

Legend Member
Have you heard the story about the bloke who woke up to hear someone in his house.

He called the police and said that someone was in his house, he had his bedroom door locked, come quick. The cops replied that there were no available cars, but they would be there in about an hour.

The bloke hung up, then rang back in a few minutes and said, "dont worry, Ive shot him."

In three minutes the house was surrounded by cops, who caught the burglar, then broke into the house, to find the owner sitting on his bed, but no corpse on the ground.

The first cop in said to the owner, "You lied ! You didnt shoot him !"

The bloke replied, "You lied, you said you had no available cars !"

Only a story, but I like it !

Cheers.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Do you think if I had a bit more money or a more high profile name it would make much difference??

Odds are it would...

Reigner

Bronze Member
The cops have failed me on so many occasions, like arresting a guy who was out of control at my property, and when I say out of control I mean he was flipping completely out... only to let him out an hour later saying "he was just drunk, he's fine now'' He came back here and stabbed somebody.

Happy2

Legend Member
I am one who believe the wallopers do a good job in trying
cicumstances. But then again I am not in the big bad city.
But recently a young bloke who started on the farm went to the local copshop nearest me and thats Northampton .to apply for a gun license only to be told they cant do that he had to go to the post office.I mean the PO in town is only a newsagent plus a few other roles thrown in.What do they know of all the regulations its just another form to them It is just duplication and we are losing touch with the human side of policing

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
But recently a young bloke who started on the farm went to the local copshop nearest me and thats Northampton .to apply for a gun license

Slightly off topic but I`ve always felt it might be a good idea that those that have guns should be required to store them at a secure place such as an army base since not many police stations might be big enough. If you can show why you need your gun then it`s released to you after a couple days notice is given. Again unless you can show you need it for work, you then have to give your gun back after 2-3 days.
My idea is so that those that get hot under the collar and reach for their gun may have calmed down by then.

Sure, it won`t get all the guns off the streets but it`s a start.

skye

Gold Member
The police like to pass the parcel. There great at it. If you hound them they eventually get their act together. But i must admit they have been their for me on some occasions and other times they have been too slow to respond. But without them we would be lost i think.

Happy2

Legend Member
BB your idea of putting guns aside until a need for its use
can proved may be just a little unwieldy. Anyway a crazy would either find one on the black market or just use something else
And anyway I must have one on the farm at all times even though I do dislike them They are a tool For Foxes wild dogs injured animals and the odd Jehovahs Witness

N

Naughty Thoughts

The problem is governments treating their departments as businesses rather than as services. Departments are expected to return a profit rather than perform their designated function. That's why cheap "revenue raising" options like cameras get priority, but more useful options like having more police on the street get pared back. Because that option costs money while not raising any.

Have the same problem with Homeswest. We were in a Homeswest property for over a decade. As soon as we could, we moved out (about three years ago) but when we did, the house sat empty for three months. After three months, they renovated it (ripped out the kitchen, bathroom and flooring) and then sold the property. Would have made a nice profit on that house, but the waiting list is several years if you need government housing.

...and then add AND I HAVE JUST SHOT THEM
...rang back in a few minutes and said, "dont worry, Ive shot him."

Good stories, sounds good in theory but in reality a very bad idea. With limited resources, police have to prioritise and if they get pulled off one task to attend a reported shooting which turns out to be false, they have a raft of different charges to choose from. Things like "obstructing justice" or "providing false evidence" or whatever else they can think of.

I have a friend who used to be a police officer who says the biggest problem the police face (from the point of view of those on the front line) is paperwork. Assuming a report of a burglary in progress, they attend and arrest the person, it then takes four hours to process that person. And that's assuming it's something simple.

Fudd

Foundation Member
The problem is governments treating their departments as businesses rather than as services.

.....you absolutely nailed it, Loneroad....I couldn't have put it better!

Having spent 25 years in both the State & Commonwealth public sectors, I have seen the shift in departments (or at least the ones I worked in) going from a regulator (ie, enforcing the laws enacted by the Parliament) to one of a private sector business model (ie, looking for returns).

What underpinned this shift has been the appointment of private sector "managers" at top departmental levels. The public sector used to be "apolictical" (ie, politically neutral as to the policies of whichever party was in power). However, these political appointees are driven by a higher mandate and this has resulted in departments prioritising their outputs to such an extent that they are failing to meet the public's expectations (in other words the law).

Fudd

Happy2

Legend Member
So Fuddwhen do you think the first instance occurred ? When
power provision was made a commission requiring them to make at least enough to cover the price of production

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
It`s not so much that I don`t see them on the streets much that really annoys me, it`s when they don`t seem to be doing what I have been told should be in their job description.

Lets look at my example...

1. Someone tried to steal my car.
How long is acceptable to wait for them to arrive?
Once I start to fix what they broke to try and steal it doesn`t it remove some of the clues that may have been left behind.

2. My broken back window.
What if they came back to break more?

3. Police station opening hours
What good is a police station that is only open during office hours? Do criminals only work during these hours?
Can anybody remember the case a couple weeks ago where someone was being shot at so he drove to the police station where he thought it was more safe but instead found it closed.

4. My friends police clearence.
Why have to go to the post office? Are they the ones who look up her history?
Something that you would think the police would have instant access to.

5. My long drive around the city.
If they are on road patrol then where? At times I wasn`t doing the speed limit and I`m sure others were not as well.

Yet if there was a Danny Green fight happening suddenly they are lots of them able to be there just in case there is trouble.
At the skyshow, they seem to be in packs walking around intimidating only a select few. What if something major happened elsewhere? How could they get there in a hurry?

I`m not saying they don`t do a good job but they need to be doing their job a bit more often.
Are they not meant to serve the people??

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Anyway a crazy would either find one on the black market or just use something else

I`m sure he or she may be able to find one on the black market but then it would take a bit more time, then going back home, put all your guns in the back of the car and then start to use them at anything that passes.
The idea is to hopefully make them not so accessable.

I`m not sure on gun laws but how many guns are you allowed to keep at home (farm) and how many do you really need?

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Looks like they will get cracking again, once the new prostitution law becomes enforceable.

B

brawler

Police are doing a good job cleaning up the streets with the limited resources provided by the conservative State government. The new prostitution laws will help crackdown on illegal suburban brothels. Brothels do not belong next to churches, kindergartens, child care centres, schools and hospitals. Brothels belong in entertainment/CBD next to bars, restaurants, clubs.

N

Naughty Thoughts

My solution to several of the problems listed above is to change the law slightly: make it a requirement for everybody to be armed at all times.

If everyone is carrying guns, then eventually:
  • Everyone will be polite, because they know the other person also has a gun.
  • The frequency of robbery, assault, road rage, home invasion and public brawls will be reduced greatly.
  • Everyone will be more disciplined due to the requirements of learning gun safety.
  • The gene pool will benefit greatly because idiots will remove themselves from the gene pool.
And people who become anti-social would be punished by being banned from carrying a weapon.

Naturally there will be a difficult transitional period were people go silly with their new, government-issue weapons. I'd expect homicides to go up by 1,000% or more in the first year, but overall it'd make for a better society.

Fudd

Foundation Member
So Fuddwhen do you think the first instance occurred ? When
power provision was made a commission requiring them to make at least enough to cover the price of production

....as much as it pains me to say it......the first instances of political appointments actually occurred in 1972 when Gough Whitlam came to power. There had been the odd political appointment previous to that but nothing like what happened in 1972.

The view of the newly elected Labour government was to put political appointees in the top jobs of some key departments. Why??..after 26 years of conservative government, the Labour government was "concerned" that public servants in these key departments wouldn't deliver on the party's mandate for change. Unfortunately for Labour, it had badly misread the public sector of the time. The concept of an apolitical public sector was alive and well regardless if Labour or the Conservatives were in power. Over time, these appointments began to infest across many departments and trickled down to State politics as well. It should be noted that the conservatives have also adopted this approach.

Fudd :)