Speed Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

couple

Speed cameras (now refered to as GREED cameras) should be banned. I just got done for doing 64 in a 60 zone BUT I WAS GOING DOWNHILL.
This is crap.

Rhett and Scarlett

Virginity can be cured!!
Foundation Member
Hi guys
I Dont really see the fact you were going "down hill" has anything to do with this.
If you feel that you can't stay on or under the legal speed limit because you are going down a hill then you are not in control of your vehicle.
The law :police: might then accuse you of driving dangerously or at the least without due care and attention....

Rhett

PS Im not a cop lol

PPS Try using a lower gear ??

C

couple

Hi guys
I Dont really see the fact you were going "down hill" has anything to do with this.
If you feel that you can't stay on or under the legal speed limit because you are going down a hill then you are not in control of your vehicle.
The law :police: might then accuse you of driving dangerously or at the least without due care and attention....

Rhett

PS Im not a cop lol

PPS Try using a lower gear ??

Gee, I wish we were perfect like you guys !!
BTW..You do sound like a cop. I hope you're not here to inform on us.

K

kelth73

I hate speed cameras too.. I have a history me plus cameras, not good. My last occasion was 2wks ago driving home from Dunsborough it was that time of night when the sun is in a shitty spot and I missed one speed zone. I was using my cruise control correctly ( i always have it set for at least 1km under listed limit) didnt even have my foot on the excelorator. Anyway I got done 89 in an 80 zone .My fault should have paid more or better attention but I was still pissed off ,bigtime.
The thing is though i missed that 80km sign I thought I was in a 90km zone. I have now copped double demerits plus a fine. I'm refusing to drive anywhere now my man can drive for a while

Bluegrass9

Diamond Member
I agree speed cameras are just revenue makers. Those who speed know where they are and slow down and then speed like a bat out of hell when they know they are safe again.

I have seen guys do a lap before having their car become a speeding bullet.

I believe everybody, know matter how perfect they are. will at one time break the speed restriction.
:walk:

svengali

Foundation Member
This is a favourite Svengali rant;

Yes, speed limits are there for a reason and should generally be obeyed but "pinging" people for 5 or 6 k's over the limit is hardly fair when design rules actually permit a speedo error of +/-10%. The othe annoyance is that, despite Mr Dorrington's insistance otherwise, the damn things are nearly always used on safe roads where a couple of k's over has no safety implications at all.

Meantime, the idiots on motorcycles drive as fast as they like (no front number plates still) 4WD tank crews still think a two-ton truck means they own the road, People yap away on mobile 'phones, run red lights and even eat breakfast while driving and nothing is done about any of it.

Focussing mindlessly on enforcing speed limits is about as logical as cracking down on jaywalkers while a terrorist group wanders around shooting people.

N

NeilAlden

Svengali, that is an interesting perspective. My rant has more to do with the design of vehicles. It amazes me that half of the speed indicator in cars is taken up for speeds that are illegal. Then you only have half an indicator left for the speeds that are legal.

With my aged eye sight it becomes difficult for me to read the speed that I am actually doing. Now why are there silly design rules that allow that sort of speed indictor? It only encourages drivers to experiment with the illegal side of the speed indicator, as youngsters are prone to do. Of for us old fellows, we will misread the legal side of the indicator.

A

Althalus

This is a favourite Svengali rant;

Yes, speed limits are there for a reason and should generally be obeyed but "pinging" people for 5 or 6 k's over the limit is hardly fair when design rules actually permit a speedo error of +/-10%. The othe annoyance is that, despite Mr Dorrington's insistance otherwise, the damn things are nearly always used on safe roads where a couple of k's over has no safety implications at all.

Meantime, the idiots on motorcycles drive as fast as they like (no front number plates still) 4WD tank crews still think a two-ton truck means they own the road, People yap away on mobile 'phones, run red lights and even eat breakfast while driving and nothing is done about any of it.

Focussing mindlessly on enforcing speed limits is about as logical as cracking down on jaywalkers while a terrorist group wanders around shooting people.

While I agree with you for the most part, the bit on motorcycles I'd like to clear up.

Front number plates will not make a bit of difference to bike riders' riding speeds.
The people that do stupid speeds will continue to do stupid speeds regardless of a number plate on the front or not.
And there are rear racing cameras out there now as well.

I know from your posts you probably did not mean it as a slant against riders, but saying all riders speed because of the lack of front number plates is ignorance at its best, and just what Mr Dorrington would have you believe.

Otherwise, excellent post and I agree wholeheartedly.

What we need, Mr Dorrington, is a focus on driver/rider training and enforcing those laws that are likely to kill people, not focusing on pinging people for doing a tiny bit over the limit.
How about we focus on teaching people how to use roundabouts, or that they need to stop at a red light, or that despite what they may think, putting on makeup in the car while sipping a latte and chatting on the phone does not make them a good driver.

M

miffinger

That is crap! 4k over the limit means you will have to be staring at your speedo the whole time your driving in order to avoid a fine, that could be dangerous since you wont be watching the road.

C

couple

That is crap! 4k over the limit means you will have to be staring at your speedo the whole time your driving in order to avoid a fine, that could be dangerous since you wont be watching the road.

Totally agree.
Greed cameras are just another form of taxation.

Bluegrass9

Diamond Member
Now if they were really serious they would have all cars that would beep at you when you went over the set speed limit. Some cars have them but not all.

It is enough watching your revision mirror, your side mirrors and your front mirror. If you keep with the flow of the traffic you will be breaking the speed limit. Sometimes I think I have stopped by the speed other cars pass me at times.
:walk:

F

flange gasket

The othe annoyance is that, despite Mr Dorrington's insistance otherwise, the damn things are nearly always used on safe roads where a couple of k's over has no safety implications at all.

This is probably the only thing that irritates me about them, but then again the "good" roads tend to get used as race tracks by idiots.

I call speed cameras a tax on stupidity because they even advertise where cameras are going to be during the day.

We know they're there, we know what they're really for, yet people dont pay attention to their speed.

If I get caught: I'm pissed off, pissed off at myself that is for being an idiot.

C

couple

This is probably the only thing that irritates me about them, but then again the "good" roads tend to get used as race tracks by idiots.

I call speed cameras a tax on stupidity because they even advertise where cameras are going to be during the day.

We know they're there, we know what they're really for, yet people dont pay attention to their speed.

If I get caught: I'm pissed off, pissed off at myself that is for being an idiot.

No one, not even the worlds safest driver, can stay exactly on the speed limit at all times while driving a vehicle. Eg. you just have to check your rear mirrors to change lanes, which is a safe driving practice, and if the road is slighltly inclined then your car will creep a few k's over the limit.
Speed cams are just a tax.

M

Mary Anne PA

Ive been driving 11 years, and never had a speeding fine.
Admittedly 5 of those years were in the country (which is why I had an E licence so young) but even since I moved to the city I never was caught speeding. There were occasions when I did speed, yes, but they were generally late at night, on a deserted road, and only maybe 5km over the limit. Most new cars have cruise control, which mean that you wont go above the limit.

Until 2 years ago, I was driving a 1974 Torana, which barely had a radio, let alone cruise control, yet I managed to never be caught speeding. When you go downhill, take your foot off the accelerator, and the chance of speeding decreases.

If a driver cant control the speed that a car is travelling at, then they are an unsafe driver. Even just 5km at the legal speed limit is residential areas is 10% faster than legal. If you think 10% isnt much, try having 10% of your body amputated.
Personally I believe that school zones should have PERMANENT speed cameras.

Our house mate just got a speeding fine, for going 2km over the limit she has a $230 fine. Melbourne is very strict!

Its simple, dont speed and you dont pay a fine. If you DO speed, accept the consequences like a responsible adult. Speed cameras are definitely a stupidity tax.

Tannerone

Gold Member
Everybody seems to have forgotten that the Speed Limit is exactly what it says. It is the maximum speed at which you can travel legally. It does NOT mean that you must always travel at that speed. If everyone travelled at slightly below the limit then it would make much more sense.

I have been driving for 50 years and have NEVER been stopped or photo'd for speeding. I was once cautioned, but that was for riding a push-bike at 36 mph downhill in a 30 mph limit over 50 years ago. I think both the cop and I were somewhat surprised !!

Tannerone :angel12:

C

couple

Ive been driving 11 years, and never had a speeding fine.
Admittedly 5 of those years were in the country (which is why I had an E licence so young) but even since I moved to the city I never was caught speeding. There were occasions when I did speed, yes, but they were generally late at night, on a deserted road, and only maybe 5km over the limit. Most new cars have cruise control, which mean that you wont go above the limit.

Until 2 years ago, I was driving a 1974 Torana, which barely had a radio, let alone cruise control, yet I managed to never be caught speeding. When you go downhill, take your foot off the accelerator, and the chance of speeding decreases.

If a driver cant control the speed that a car is travelling at, then they are an unsafe driver. Even just 5km at the legal speed limit is residential areas is 10% faster than legal. If you think 10% isnt much, try having 10% of your body amputated.
Personally I believe that school zones should have PERMANENT speed cameras.

Our house mate just got a speeding fine, for going 2km over the limit she has a $230 fine. Melbourne is very strict!

Its simple, dont speed and you dont pay a fine. If you DO speed, accept the consequences like a responsible adult. Speed cameras are definitely a stupidity tax.

It's only a matter of time before you get a few.

M

Mary Anne PA

If I do get a speeding ticket (and I doubt it, as I dont drive in Melbourne, and when I drive in WA its in a town with 4 police officers for the district, and senior sergeant whos children I baby sat) Ill accept the consequences. Like I said, I rarely speed, and its never in a populated area.

The only people who complain about "revenue raising" are the ones who are paying fines.
As tannerone says, stay UNDER the speed limit by1-2km and you wont have to worry about 'accidentally" speeding.
If you cant notice the speed limit, or manage to use cruise control, then you might not notice a pedestrian crossing, and shouldnt be driving.

bushseeker

Foundation Member
I havnt been done for over 10 years - but what jacks me is all the different spee limits and the chopping and changing
-it used to be simple 110 on the highway, 80 where there were buildings but not residential 60 in reidential that was it yo didnt have to see speed sighns you could work it out

now there are 50-60-70-80-90-100-110 limits which chop and change like the wind

Buzz

Foundation Member
well this topic always gets the emotion going... especially after we've copped a ticket. ouch!!!! had just a few myself. none of them deserved of course.
what elightens me is the call for driver training. what a waiste of time!!! we are all such very good drivers why do we need training... its the other people on the roads that need edukatshun. ..not us. what do youthink.

Ive been china a few times. they seem to drive on whatever sid of the road they feel like and they onl seem to have one road rule... jus dont hit anyone. pretty simple hey

M

Mary Anne PA

So you do speed sometimes. That's pretty stupid of you. One day your turn will come.

Im only as stupid as you, since Ive not been caught.

And if I get caught like you did I will admit I was stupid, rather than blame others. Like Ive said numerous times in this thread I will accept the consequences of my actions, like an adult. Ive chosen to speed, Ill choose to pay the fine.

I hate the "poor me' syndrome, some just dont take responsibility for their actions these days.
If speeding wasnt their fault, neither was bashing and robbing an old lady, or raping children. Its societies fault, and noone can obey they law ALL the time.

C

couple

Im only as stupid as you, since Ive not been caught.

If speeding wasnt their fault, neither was bashing and robbing an old lady, or raping children. Its societies fault, and noone can obey they law ALL the time.

Get a grip...
The only difference between you and me is that you haven't been caught yet.
You're still a law breaker. FACT

Status
Not open for further replies.