scalping...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Watching TV tonight there was a discussion about ticket scalping, where some people buy lots of tickets for a concert and then resell it at a much higher price.
Morally some may see it as being wrong but for others if you can do something like this and make some extra cash then why not...
Should it be stopped or is it just good business, after all a ticket is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

W

WRXXXR

All's fair in love and war. The heart of every solid economy is buying a product and selling it for a profit.

J

JasRob

That's good business..LOL..I mean if i have all the money to buy the tickets and sell it at a higher price then I'd be willing to do that as well. Everybody wants to get more cash nowadays...

Fudd

Foundation Member
At the end of the day, it's really up to the event organiser. If they want to place a limit on the number of tickets that can be bought by a person, then so be it (eg, like the football tickets). If they don't then, as far as I'm concerned, market forces apply and BB's comment is spot on, i.e. "...a ticket is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...".

W

WRXXXR

I think most of the time they limit ticket sales to 10 per person for certain events (Ie Seal) and 4's for the big $$ shows. Gaga, one direction etc. But teenage girls will happily pay a couple hundred plus to see the latest Bieber / 1D / Gaga.

It's more just you buy a few extra tickets and sell them on eBay / forum, couple of days before the concert.

Fudd

Foundation Member
Thought it was illegal in Perth?

...as far as I know, the only jurisdiction in which it IS illegal is Qld provided that the scalper does not sell a ticket for more than 20% above its face value, ie purchase price.

Fudd

svengali

Foundation Member
It has been made illegal over here.

Yep, correct me if I am wrong but I believe if you front up at an AFL game with a ticket bought from a scalper or anyone other than an authorised seller you won't get in. Not sure how they Police it, though?

W

WRXXXR

They don't, for small timers there's no point.

With afl games, there's no market unless it's a grand final or it's a derby. Can usually get tickets. I can't give my freo seats away let alone scalp them :p

With sell out concerts it's simply a matter of buying a couple of extra tickets for yourself (for friends...) when they get released and 3 or 4 days before the concert your friends tell you they cant make it and you whack them on a forum / Gumtree / eBay and put $50-$100 on them. Easy money!