• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Rochelle's Political Thread

P

Peter

Re: politics 2012

The only thought I will give to a politician is where to put the noose!

G

Gentleman

I hope Obama gets in for a second term.

The Labor party in Canberra could all get lost at sea and I wouldn't care.

F

Farm Boy

While I am in the new thread/gossip section I might as well add this one.
America's elections at the end of the year......haaaaa....who would have guessed. They are still a while away but I would like to know your guys' opinion on what is going to happen.
My thoughts..........Obama again unless the Republicans are able to find a charismatic leader. Not much there at the moment (grrrrrr and hopefully it stays like that). So far Obama had to deal with the left-overs from Mr.B (B for bloody) G Bush. I think he deserves another term to concentrate on his politics instead of putting band aid on the consequences of the "activities" of the previous president.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rochelle some of the USA problems go back to before George Walker Bush (born July 6, 1946)
In my option there biggest problem is there huge debt that they never pay down

From 1900 to 1950, Treasury debt increased by $255.81 Billion (1.55B to 257.36B)
From 1917 to 1919 (WWI), debt grew by $23.78 Billion (3.61B to 27.39B)
From 1941 to 1946 (WWII), debt grew by 226.45 Billion (42.97B to 269.42B)
Debt incurred to fight WWI and WWII was $250.23 Billion
$250.23 Billion is 97.82% of the entire debt increase from 1900 to 1950!

Between 1971 and July 31, 1999, Treasury debt grew from $414.23 Billion to $5,638.66 Billion. That increase, $5224.43 Billion, is 92.68% of the entire increase in Treasury debt since 1900.

And it grows evermore

As of December 15, 2011 the gross debt was $15.098 trillion, of which $10.438 trillion was held by the public and $4.659 trillion was intragovernmental holdings.[4] The annual gross domestic product (GDP) to the end of June 2011 was $15.003 trillion (July 29, 2011 estimate),[5] with total public debt outstanding at a ratio of 100% of GDP, and debt held by the public at 69% of GDP.

G

Gentleman

If Julia Gillard and Wayne Swan were in a little boat out in the middle of the ocean and it sank, who would survive?

Australia!:laughing4

W

wingman

If Julia Gillard and Wayne Swan were in a little boat out in the middle of the ocean and it sank, who would survive?

No, some other labor clown would launch a billion dollar rescue.

P

Peter

No, some other labor clown would launch a billion dollar rescue.
Then tax the working class for the privilege to save them, then there's the multi-million compensation claim for being supplied a faulty boat!!

W

WRXXXR

We need a leader who fits in with Australian ideals again!

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Bob hawke watching the cricket at the SCG a few days ago. Still hasn't lost his thirst :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy2

Legend Member

On the the other side We have Mr Abbott who will repeal the carbon tax The sea will rise Australia will go under water (If you are a climate change ultra believer) No-one will want to come here any more and all will be well

S

sexnut

On the the other side We have Mr Abbott who will repeal the carbon tax The sea will rise Australia will go under water (If you are a climate change ultra believer) No-one will want to come here any more and all will be well

There are some islands in the pacific already going under water. They will need to leave the island and where will they go?

Politics bores me::)

I like Obama to win

Aztec Monkey

Silver Member

:Idiot mask off:
Obama deserves a second run. The GFC was not his creation but he has had to deal with it. Neither was Iraq or Afghanistan but he is winding those adventures down. Bin Laden is out of the picture and it's time to look at the internal politics... health care for the poor now that has been a long time coming. Obama reminds me of FDR who wasn't always popular, didn't always do the more expected American things but somehow gave the people Hope.
I think Obama has the same ability and it would be a damn shame not to see that potential come to fruition.

Australian politics is a totally different kettle of fish, The media and us focus on the leaders too much, forgetting that we don't have a presidential style of government. Here both sides of politics lacks Courage. That comes from lacking a clear vision of how they want to shape this this lucky country. The sheer potential of our nation is being held back by the sheer ordinariness of our politicians.
You cannot shape a nation based on opinion polls and finding the middle ground constantly nor can you be negative without putting forward ideas.
Australia used to have two very dynamic political parties which through constant rough and tumble of politics, really lived up to Hegel's concept of "thesis, antithesis and synthesis". The synthesis component came from the electorate which would always topple a government after around three terms. What would happen here was good ideas would stay and unpopular ones would change.
2012? Well the ALP is beset by factions which hop around opinion polls and the Liberals are run by conservatives which are going to stonewall to the next elections. In fact I cannot see anything changing in either camp. Putting Turnbull or Rudd back counts for nothing because they are figureheads in a non presidential system. The Greens have some good points but on a lot of issues they do not resonate at all with the majority of the public.
The only politicans who seem to have the courage of conviction are the Independants and my guess as the electorate gets more dispondent with main stream politics, they will be parking their votes here.
However this is worrying because this will see a rise in the power of vocal minority groups especially Christain zealots. It already worries me to see the in roads they are making here in WA.
Do I have hope? Always. People get pushed so far. My guess is sometime in the future we will see the "Liberals" (European concept of Liberal) of the Liberal Party and the non factional members of the ALP split and form a new party.... one full of motivated people with bold ideas and Courage.

:Idiot mask back on:

P

Peter

We don't want them any way, rather have closed borders and become our own nation

Buzz

Foundation Member

well scribed Aztec. the only consideration not offered is the problem with 3 year terms. its difficult to put any strategicpolicy into place and see the outcome. govt policy is hamstrung but elections every 3 years.
its also hard to really gauge politics as we can only make opinion and judgement from what is reported. and never in my lifetime have i know fair and equitable media

F

Farm Boy

:Idiot mask off:
Obama deserves a second run. The GFC was not his creation but he has had to deal with it. Neither was Iraq or Afghanistan but he is winding those adventures down. Bin Laden is out of the picture and it's time to look at the internal politics... health care for the poor now that has been a long time coming. Obama reminds me of FDR who wasn't always popular, didn't always do the more expected American things but somehow gave the people Hope.
I think Obama has the same ability and it would be a damn shame not to see that potential come to fruition.

Australian politics is a totally different kettle of fish, The media and us focus on the leaders too much, forgetting that we don't have a presidential style of government. Here both sides of politics lacks Courage. That comes from lacking a clear vision of how they want to shape this this lucky country. The sheer potential of our nation is being held back by the sheer ordinariness of our politicians.
You cannot shape a nation based on opinion polls and finding the middle ground constantly nor can you be negative without putting forward ideas.
Australia used to have two very dynamic political parties which through constant rough and tumble of politics, really lived up to Hegel's concept of "thesis, antithesis and synthesis". The synthesis component came from the electorate which would always topple a government after around three terms. What would happen here was good ideas would stay and unpopular ones would change.
2012? Well the ALP is beset by factions which hop around opinion polls and the Liberals are run by conservatives which are going to stonewall to the next elections. In fact I cannot see anything changing in either camp. Putting Turnbull or Rudd back counts for nothing because they are figureheads in a non presidential system. The Greens have some good points but on a lot of issues they do not resonate at all with the majority of the public.
The only politicans who seem to have the courage of conviction are the Independants and my guess as the electorate gets more dispondent with main stream politics, they will be parking their votes here.
However this is worrying because this will see a rise in the power of vocal minority groups especially Christain zealots. It already worries me to see the in roads they are making here in WA.
Do I have hope? Always. People get pushed so far. My guess is sometime in the future we will see the "Liberals" (European concept of Liberal) of the Liberal Party and the non factional members of the ALP split and form a new party.... one full of motivated people with bold ideas and Courage.

:Idiot mask back on:

Not enough small L lib's and non factional ALP members to form Gov Aztec.
and in not trying to wind you up its just the truth.

W

wingman

What would be the process of changing Aust elections to 5 years? If a bill was written the opposition party would just reject it, no?

Also, seems none of them from either party have the guts to do 'what is right', but rather do 'what wins votes'.

Demon

Legend Member

Four years fixed term. Election the same weekend every four years.

None of the prime minster deciding to hold an election because she/he feels like it.

I think it is a change to the constitution - which historically is difficult and only when both major parties support it.

Happy2

Legend Member

What would be the process of changing Aust elections to 5 years? If a bill was written the opposition party would just reject it, no?

Also, seems none of them from either party have the guts to do 'what is right', but rather do 'what wins votes'.

For me terms should be four years and no super early elections 5yrs is just too long
At present a government acts for 12months 1st year in honeymoon mode 2cnd year policy enactment 3rd year back in election mode Four years gives you 2yrs of govering
5yrs would seem a eternity if we had a truly shocking government Imagine 5yrs of Maggie Thatcher or George dubyah Bush style government in this country

Fudd

Foundation Member

Four years fixed term. Election the same weekend every four years. None of the prime minster deciding to hold an election because she/he feels like it. I think it is a change to the constitution - which historically is difficult and only when both major parties support it.

...there's no Constitution problem here as the term is legislated through the Electoral Act so the Act would need to be tweaked to fix the period to 3 years rather than allow a government to "manipulate" the election date. This would be similar to what WA recently did when the government legislated that a parliament's term be fixed so that a State election will now be held on the 2nd Sat of March every 4 years.

At the Federal level, however, the problem with a 4 year period is that a change would have to be made to the Senate's term as Senators are voted in for a 6 year period. However, half the Senators (who have done their 6 years) are up for elections at the same time as a full House of Reps election, ie every 3 years.

If the House of Reps went to 4 years, then the Senate term would have to be increased to 8 years as changing the parliamentary term for Senators is fixed in the Constitution & linked to the House of Reps elections rather than the Electoral Act.

Fudd

W

wingman

For me terms should be four years and no super early elections 5yrs is just too long
At present a government acts for 12months 1st year in honeymoon mode 2cnd year policy enactment 3rd year back in election mode Four years gives you 2yrs of govering
5yrs would seem a eternity if we had a truly shocking government Imagine 5yrs of Maggie Thatcher or George dubyah Bush style government in this country

Problem with the shorter terms is that most governments can't implement a decent strategy as some strategies take time to see fruition. Either they have to come up with short term strategies (which are normally not as good) or the next prime minister takes the blame/credit for what they've implemented.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Comments on...........

In one or two sentences........what would be your comment to Gina Rinehart if she would stand in front of you?

:nono:

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

B

BigBoy69

Re: Comments on...........

...got a spare AUS$1, 000, 000.00 I can have???????????????:headbang::laughing3:laughing1

Happy2

Legend Member

Worth a $1000 000 000 ?
Try spending a little bit on beauty and fashion tips

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member

To prove you love your family, would you give away most of your assets??

S

Saige

Your daughter wants 250,000 per year for a Chef....THEN YOU ARE 100% correct to deny them money and teach them a bit of real world lessons..

Demon

Legend Member

You have possibly invalidated the ransom insurance by making it public. Was that smart?

F

Farm Boy

Lang had a nice property not far from Perth.

Happy2

Legend Member

Was the property that little joint they called Dalkeith? Or Peppy Grove