• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

sioxie

Foundation Member
Has anyone here got any advice on what to do with infected piercings??

I am getting conflicting advice as to treatment....is it best just to use the old fashioned salt and boiled water method?
I have been using alcohol ( externally not internally lol) but have been told this isnt good for new piercings......

Also have been told not to take the piercings out until the infection has healed...any comments from anyone who has had the same prob would b greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

D

DANNY

Even If You Cant See Mine These Days Ive Had A Few And Not Removing Is The Correct Way I Did Find And Using Medical Alchol Is What I Always Used

N

naughtybuttnice

Hope this helps...

Hey Sox...Are you talking about your new belly piercing?..

When I had mine pierced, and have taken many a friends to get pierced, I am always told it takes a good 7 weeks for it to heal...And yes it did take exactly 7 weeks for mine to heal...
I was advised not to use alcohol...But to use salty boiled water and not to turn the ring...
Also when bathing use sapoderm soap only,(for your whole body wash, for the whole 7 weeks) as this has No perfumes etc in it...
When washing hair, lean back, do not get any shampoo etc on piercing...
And do not swim...(Nice time for hot weather to arrive...NOT)

Hope this helps you...XX

P

PerthNcheeky

Heya sox,

First up ... I wouldn't recommend using the alcohol swabs... that will dry out the piercing and make the skin crack ... opening the way for more problems. I'd avoid soaps too .. they tend to leave bits and pieces behind in the fresh piercing and can also dry the skin out.

Best thing we found for caz's nipples was to soak them in the boiled (note ... boiled ... *not* ... boiling!!!) water and salt mix for around 5 mins, slightly warmed for comfort .... 4 or so times a day ... caz found that after a week or so of this .. all was good :)

Then cut down the amount of times a day to one per day or as needed (when it got gunky .. lol)

You've seen her nipples ... so you can see for yourself how effective it was :p

With the infection ... perhaps treat it with a very small amount of betadine to get it under control ... then stick with the salt and water.

You could also go back and see your piercer, firstly to have them check that the piercing is okay .. and secondly, they usually have special "goo" you can purchase (at a price of course ... lol) that you could use if that makes the process simpler for you.

It's not unusual for piercings to experience some infection so don't panic. Main thing is to get it under control and the healing process under way to prevent any scarring.

Also, if it is your belly button, they can take up to 12 months to fully heal, so don't stress! Keep the piercing from rubbing against clothing as best you can (stay naked! lol) and keep it uncovered as best you can too.

One last thing, if you feel the infection is already to severe or has the potential to become so, then straight to the doctors for treatment. Antibiotics may be what you need.

Hope all this helps.

Cheers

Ross and caz

sioxie

Foundation Member
Thankz for all ur help guyz very much appreciated!! xxxx

Well seems the piercing was done in the wrong place to start with got told today i have to have the whole thing redone as the piercings are too far apart!!!!! BUGGA......so have to leave em b till they are healed then go back and b a sook again and have 3 people sit on me and hold me down while i go thru the process all over " cries"....gosh how much EMLA cream did i go thru that day??

the infection is so bad now on ABs and as for keepin the clothing off the area hehehehheehe gives me an opportunity to run around with my pants off whilst im at work....hey hang on just remembered i dont wear pants when im at work???? ( that ones for OSCAR!!) :la:

FordFiend

Foundation Member
Hey Sioxie,

As I have multiple piercings including belly...request a banana barbell, DONT get it repierced with a ring. Rings can turn without you touching them, they get knocked more easily, and even them moving from side to side can aggravate it. Barbells are out of the way, the skin doesn't have to contort itself as much even though skin is pretty darn elastic, easier to keep clean and also means you don't need a pair of surgical pliers to change it over like you do with the rings.

The saltwater is the best solution....my piercer gives me little saline solutions to use whenever I get something pierced. Also if you iuse a cotton bud to clean it, only use each end once, otherwise you're just putting the gunk straight back onto the piercing...a real quick way to get an infection.

Take Care,
Ashli aka mrs fordfiend

C

cli-max

Hi sioxie babe

A 'close' friend did a clit (hood) piercing on me a few weeks ago,( i chose a banana barbell ) using a darning needle, a cork, and listerine as steralization. I ( thankfully ) didn't have any problems with infection, and no soreness after. I kept using listerine on the area for about 2 weeks after - as a piercer had sujested. My friend said he had never 'gone there' before, and it was an experience for me too, I can tell you. :notworthy I used numbing cream from the pharmacy, and I didn't feel a thing. Then again, I didn't have any problems with navel piercing, etc before either.
I think that some people can be just plain unlucky when it comes to infection - but, could listerine be a sujestion?
xx Maxi

Last edited by a moderator:

sioxie

Foundation Member
A few thingz...

Ashli it was pierced and then i just had a normal earring sleeper put in and im worried the hole wiil b too small to put a naval barbell or anything in :( From what i have seen the barbells etc ar thicker than normal earrings? I keep catchin the damn thing on everythin which just aggravates it.....i am worried it will get ripped out accidently.....

and Max ur makin my eyes water LOL......a darning needle and a cork? You are a braver gurl than i will ever b!!!!!!!!! But i will give the listerine a go as its just not healin at all.....

FordFiend

Foundation Member
Well my first suggestion is go to a different piercer and seek their opinion, they may tell you that you can slowly stretch it yourself using different gauge barbells, or they may suggest you let it heal over and then get it done again. Cooled boiled salty water is always the safest way to go....yes there are other lotions and liquids you can use, but usually do more harm than good, and what works for one individual may not work for another.

I always try to warn people about infections and what not...as have just had Pauls cousins piercing themselves with unsterilised needles, thumb tacks in an unsterilised room, using earring studs/sleepers and safety pins as jewellery which are all of course unsterilised. To me, if any part of the equipment/jewellery has not gone through the auto clave prior to use then I wouldn't be getting it pierced there.

N

NaughtyBetty

FordFiend said:
Hey Sioxie,

As I have multiple piercings including belly...request a banana barbell, DONT get it repierced with a ring. Rings can turn without you touching them, they get knocked more easily, and even them moving from side to side can aggravate it. Barbells are out of the way, the skin doesn't have to contort itself as much even though skin is pretty darn elastic, easier to keep clean and also means you don't need a pair of surgical pliers to change it over like you do with the rings.

The saltwater is the best solution....my piercer gives me little saline solutions to use whenever I get something pierced. Also if you iuse a cotton bud to clean it, only use each end once, otherwise you're just putting the gunk straight back onto the piercing...a real quick way to get an infection.

Take Care,
Ashli aka mrs fordfiend

I am so glad I saw this thread...have been told that most piercers prefer a ring for a clitoral hood piercing (contemplating that ATM) & really didn't want one...think I'll definately insist on a barbell. Someone recomended emla or Xylocaine...can any one comment on whether it works/how to apply it etc??
Sioxie, I had a shocking time with my belly button healing & agree don't use anything with alchohol base stick to salt water

FordFiend

Foundation Member
NaughtyBetty said:
I am so glad I saw this thread...have been told that most piercers prefer a ring for a clitoral hood piercing (contemplating that ATM) & really didn't want one...think I'll definately insist on a barbell. Someone recomended emla or Xylocaine...can any one comment on whether it works/how to apply it etc??
Sioxie, I had a shocking time with my belly button healing & agree don't use anything with alchohol base stick to salt water

Sorry I should have been a lil more specific...the only time I recommend a closure ring for a piercing is genital piercing, but if you're getting a vertical hood piercing then a banana bbarbell is best. I have a horizontal clit piercing, and a closure ring is best for that.

C

Carla

With my piercings I've always had problems with healing. The best method that worked for me was a combined salt water solution and the thick brown betadine cream.

Soak all the crusty stuff of the piercing first with the warm salt water, then apply the betadine cream. You must make sure there is no crusty bits on the jewellery or piercing site, as onc you've applied the betadine you slide the jewellery up and down to make sure the betadine is moved through the hole. Wipe off the excess cream and leave. I used go through this routine in the morning and at night. It just depends on how infected the site is.

Worked for me, I have no scarring.

Also, dont stress if you get what's called a 'granuloma' (correct spelling?)- it's just a build up of excess scar tissue around the site (looks like a little bump of skin at the enterance of the piering hole). The above routine will get rid of this.

Good luck.

S

sub_doll

i had a sternum piercing done about 5months ago and i havent had any problems with it, i just used a saline solution from the chemists, soaked some cotton wool with it and placed it on the piercing for 5mins each night. found it worked really well

N

NaughtyBetty

FordFiend said:
Sorry I should have been a lil more specific...the only time I recommend a closure ring for a piercing is genital piercing, but if you're getting a vertical hood piercing then a banana bbarbell is best. I have a horizontal clit piercing, and a closure ring is best for that.

Thanks FF, I ended up witha barbell & am really happy with it! (got it done about 10 days ago now) had a few days of it being sore & swollen but I tried the "shot glass" trick it works wonders for soaking the piercing...I used the piercing wash the piercing shop gave me (it's got lavendar & tea tree oil in it) but salt water is great. Of course MrNB was curious as to why his JB shot glass was on the floor in the bathroom all week LOL