Need some IT pros help =)

S

sexyaccent

Just got a new laptop and am wondering about the best free....anti spyware firewall anti virus...general everything....I'm not buying a proper one for a week or two...so also open to suggestions on those...I don't particularly wanna spend more than $150.....preferably lower lol

Mainly after good free ones! thanks!

F

Farm Boy

Kasperrsky give a 30 day free trial like all things rusky works well for all and sundry ( think AK47)

svengali

Foundation Member
Do yourself a favour and buy Kaspersky. If you can afford a laptop you can certainly afford a proper anti-virus setup for it. Updates cost peanuts for a year's subscriprion and you are then sure you are keeping up with all he latest nasties.

If I were you I would consult an expert, possibly the people you bought the unit from, and make sure their are no special requirements if you are using it with wireless connections.

M

MistaMixta

We use Norton 360 (doen't just do viruses, covers spam, security threats and more), you can get a 90 day free trial, DSE & BigW are offering good deals on it, around $ 100 for 3 users with a free item thrown in.

Although we aren't IT pros, we find it easy enough to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

sugad1c

Bronze Member
I wouldn't recommend any Symantec product aka Norton, etc as it is greedy with resources and will slow your machine down, you get frustrated, ring up the I.T. support guy, he tells you its no good, u get mad at him coz you've paid alot of money for it....u get the drift. Yes Kaspersky is good, but as stated above you have to pay for it.
So here is a good one that's free and light on resources; "Microsoft Security Essentials".
Most free products require manual update, where as this updates itself, as long as your machine is left on at the scheduled maintenance time.....The paid option of this is "Microsoft Forefront".
Obviously the paid ones will give you fancy options, but do you really need them unless you are a company looking for super tight security???
Hope this helped.

melissa@talkinsex

Foundation Member
Hi Sexy Accent
Have a look at these sites where I get great freeware

Freeware downloads Security-Privacy - Anti-Virus Tools at SnapFiles.com

broken link so taken down

At the moment I just use the firewall that comes with windows. Though reading on the web comodo firewall looks like a better one. Also use a freeware program called Spyware Terminator. With extra scans sometimes with the freeware Adaware and Spybot Search and destroy. - OK I think I am overdoing it! - Haven't had a computer killed by any virus' yet. :laughing4

Just keep an eye out when installing some freeware that you don't install any extra browser bars or prog you don't want - look at each screen B4 clicking Yes.

For anti virus I use CA sercurity centre that was freeware but was bought by Vet, but I was happy with it so decided to pay.

CrackELF

Silver Member
i use avg free edition on all five of my computers and both of my dads and have never had a problem with it download it from the web have been using the free edition of avg for at least the last 10 years and think if the free version works why pay for one norton is crap only causes problems but thats my opinion

dan60

Diamond Member
had trend for a couple of years, no probs.
tried kapersky and bit-defender free trials when subs for trend were up.
both slowed down pc, made it very quirky.
went back to trend and got internet security pro, works fine.

viper

Gold Member
AVG no doubt free and very good almost everyone I know uses it. We had norton 360 but its quite bulky.

suckme469

Silver Member
It does not really matter which one you use, as long as you have some protection. Everyone has their own personal favourites. You will most likely get a free 90 days, when you buy the laptop. See if you can get even more from them when you buy the laptop. Unless the antivirus sofware that comes with the laptop causes you a problem, stick with it. $100 a year for virus protection is peanuts. As was indicated always check what you are downloading and installing from the net. Even us veterans of the IT industry get caught out, when you have antivirus software.

G

Gazbo52

AVG free or AVast free - both good and the write price, malware antibytes for trojans etc and or Spybot search and destroy - all free. Run one of each.

R

raider

It does not really matter which one you use, as long as you have some protection. Everyone has their own personal favourites. You will most likely get a free 90 days, when you buy the laptop. See if you can get even more from them when you buy the laptop. Unless the antivirus sofware that comes with the laptop causes you a problem, stick with it. $100 a year for virus protection is peanuts. As was indicated always check what you are downloading and installing from the net. Even us veterans of the IT industry get caught out, when you have antivirus software.

Just following on from this, it's probably in your best interest to have a few different programs running that can detect viruses etc that your main program may inadvertently skip .. much like multiple deadlocks on a door.

I would recommend the following:
- AVG Antivirus (free version)
- Malewarebytes Anti-Malware
- Spybot Search and Destroy
- Lavasoft Adaware

If you can justify spending the money, buying a program like Kaspersky or NOD32 is a good idea

C

Charlie57

I concur with Svengali, Kaspersky is excellent. The cost is excellent value.

F

Farm Boy

Bugger me Charlies I said Kaspersky first , and even compared it with a AK 47 which every one knows is cheep and trouble free, and can be operated by any one with the minimal of maintenance.

mark22e

Bronze Member
I would go with Avast Home. Free, simple to use, and the last I checked it was ranked higher than the more common products (Norton, Mcafee, AVG) as far as detecting threats.

Gentlemanperth

Silver Member
Having spent 10 years in computer retail and SME the only product I would recommend would be E-Set security. it is designed to have minimial perfomrance impact on your lappy, unlike a lot of other prodcuts out there and a 2 year licene is available online for about $80

check out eset.com

you can download a free 30 day trail that you can then upgrade when you ready to buy

M

mrkamasutra

I would recommend the following:
- AVG Antivirus (free version)
- Malewarebytes Anti-Malware
- Spybot Search and Destroy
- Lavasoft Adaware

If you can justify spending the money, buying a program like Kaspersky or NOD32 is a good idea

I agree with Raider on this too:eek:ccasion14

E

erob473

Every one seems to be full of advice, and i agree with each of the above, however having been in IT as well for almost 15 years, no one above has asked what you do with your pc and how you use it in regards to offering the best solutions for your needs :)

Sorry every one, not tryin to bust anyones balls here hehe.

E

erob473

Oh and to add to all of the VERY good advice above, always run quality free ware with a reputable paid antivirus/firewall always use a router/firewall to access the web, stay away from Norton, Macfee, VET etc, as the above advice says it hogs your machines resources.