Lost in translation...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Been studying languages recently and with some of words you need to be very careful the way you pronounce them because sound can give it an entirely different meaning...

For example
maa can mean either mum, horse or dog

Another thing is that what we say here may mean something else in a different country.
For example cow in thai translates to rice or moo tranlates to pig.

Anybody have any embarassing storys where they have gone to say one thing but had it mean something completly different??

Miss Delights

Diamond Member
I remember my head chef wanted to thank the deaf kitchen hand one day so he asked my how to sing Thankyou, So I showed him...Lol all of a sudden she has smacked him & stormed out?? Turns out he did the gesture wrong & said Fuck you he he...I had to chase her down the street to explain it to her...:laughing4

Fudd

Foundation Member
I was staying with an old aunt of mine in Italy and, one day, she gave me this strange look when I said that something was a "pain in the arse", meaning that something was annoying or frustrating.

According to my cousin, I had mispronounced one word in my response and this had changed the response to wanting to be "penerated in the arse".......oops.....lol :)

Fudd :)

svengali

Foundation Member
I recall one widely reported occasion when the late U.S. President Reagan made a speech in Poland and attempted a short phrase in Polish which was greeted with loud laughter.

It turned out he had tried to say he "loved the Polish people" but had used the wrong word for "love" and had expressed carnal desire instead of affection.

Probably just as well Poles have a sense of humour.

Fudd

Foundation Member
...and speaking of US Presidents, those who are old enough may remember when President Kennedy was in Berlin, in 1961/2, and to express his admiration/affection for the Berlin people, at the time of heigthen tensions with East Germany/Russia, he said "Eich bin ein Berliner" meaning "I am a Berliner"......apparently, in Berlin a "berliner" was a sausage.....lol

Fudd :)

L

Lord Spikey

And then there is own own Kevin Rudd, who while Ambassador to China gave a speech at which he expressed a desire for our two nations to come together, only the phrase he used meant simultaneous orgasms

M

msmagdelena

too funny.... thanks for the morning laugh.

I had a customer once who was Japanese & could not speak English well at all. In mime & broken words he asked, for what I could deduce - a penis dilator. So I began showing him the stainless steel dilator sets, to which he looked disappointed & kept saying "too small... want big!"
I was quite surprised as most men struggle to get the largest of the set down the eye of their penis, but being open minded I said "ok lets find something else".
He then pointed to an anal plug and said "can make bigger?" and I looked at him with surprise in my eyes and said "you want it bigger? We have a pump up plug can make very big." To which he became more excited, and I more curious & concerned about how the hell he would fit the large anal plug down his shaft & then pump it up.
So, I began explaining my concern at his choice, while pointing to his penis and saying its very big to fit in penis & to pump, can be problem." to which he replied "no no no" & pointed to his ass. Out of shear relief & realisation of the mis-interpretation, I burst into uncontrollable laughter.
I think he was surprised at my reaction & perhaps thought I was laughing at his wanting to put it up his ass, but by that stage I didn't care. All I could think of was why the hell did he say penis & point down? I think he actually meant Ass & got the words confused, in turn confusing me....

Anyway, all great fun & made for a rather delightful day...

regards,
Ms M

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Anyone got a spare book of sex definitions that my boss could borrow??

One of our fine ladies retired from work today and when he was asked what he was going to give as a present, he replied...
"I`m going to give her a pearl necklace"

He couldn`t understand all the small laughs...