Lastnight- Clear country air, shiniest most active sky I've seen...

C

colbb123

Did anyone else notice this? Awesome shooting stars...might look up more often!

Happy2

Legend Member
Been to cloudy up here But I love going out on a fine dark night with a beer and watching the night sky
We also have the bonus of no light pollution so it is so much more enjoyable

C

colbb123

I have fond memories as a kid on the farm, being woken up when there was a big thunderstorm. We'd all sit out on the veranda watching the show. When Dad was still with us we'd count the seconds between the sheet lightning and the thunder. Bit of fun seeing who could work out how far away the lightning was first.

Happy2

Legend Member
Same upbringing Colbb Great thunderstorms up here this summer Had one fire and lost a few animals Sad but thats the Aussie summer
And what was the lightning Thunder formula? 5seconds 1 mile I think Sorry to use imperial on you

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Best night sky I have ever seen was in Cuba. It was in the middle of the night on the highway between La Habana and Santiago de Cuba. We stopped for a piss break. I have never seen such darkness........no light at all (thanks to the power crisis) and uncountable shooting stars. Until I never realised how dark total darkness can be. In our western world there is always light.....even when it is a few kms away.

R.xxxxxxxxxxx

C

colbb123

Same upbringing Colbb Great thunderstorms up here this summer Had one fire and lost a few animals Sad but thats the Aussie summer
And what was the lightning Thunder formula? 5seconds 1 mile I think Sorry to use imperial on you

True. Ha the imperial conversion has got the old ticker working. Good! I need some mental maths practice, too much time using computers I think. Good excuse anyway. Will resist the urge to google up a converter and work it out but in the mean time we went on speed of sound at 330 m/s. I remember if I could could the seconds using one finger it was time to go back inside!

Happy2

Legend Member
True. Ha the imperial conversion has got the old ticker working. Good! I need some mental maths practice, too much time using computers I think. Good excuse anyway. Will resist the urge to google up a converter and work it out but in the mean time we went on speed of sound at 330 m/s. I remember if I could could the seconds using one finger it was time to go back inside!

That 330m/s works for me 5 by 330 is approx 1 mile And I hope you did not mean your heart when you said Got my ticker working
Maybe you mean you got your mind ticking over? Hope so

C

colbb123

ah yes my brain, sorry. Might be an aerostart job to get it going by the looks. Good old Aerostart, or Aerostart's rival - 'startyabastard'. Only in Australia would that product name not be an issue ha, ahh gotta love it!

westy

Mouse chasing Pussy
Diamond Member
LAST NIGHTS SKY WAS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Down south on the farm with no lights around. Clear and deep into space. I reckon I spotted a planet to the east also - at about 35deg but didn't have internat to look it up. Anybody??

S

Saige

I have fond memories as a kid on the farm, being woken up when there was a big thunderstorm. We'd all sit out on the veranda watching the show. When Dad was still with us we'd count the seconds between the sheet lightning and the thunder. Bit of fun seeing who could work out how far away the lightning was first.

bless.....similar memories!!!