If you knew...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Had a bit of sad news today, seems a friend of mine may have cancer.
Now this friend has done well for himself and although not rich, owns his own home as well as he has just paid cash for a car worth more then 50K.
I Hope no one of ever has to put it into action but if you knew that you may only have a few years left,
do you think if you could, sell up everything and tour all the best brothels in the world, or perhaps go to a 3rd world country for the rest of your days and use all your money to help make another familys life easier or would you continue living your life the same as it was before??

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Shit.....that is a good question. Honestly......I don't know what I would do. Sure....usually when we talk about it everybody says that they would enjoy life to the max and do all the things they always wanted to do and never had the guts to do. But at the end of the day it might be more likely that we end up supporting our friends and family.......maybe even go on as usual just to keep some sense of so called 'normality'.........who knows.........hope we don't find out in a hurry.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxx

Happy2

Legend Member
I am with Rochelle We have all seen or heard people say You wouldn't see me for dust , Or I will spend every cent having as good a time as possible. But that is all conjecture by people who are well, at the time.
I could imagine having a great time for a month or two But here is where my family & friends live And I believe that is what would bring me back home.
That and a phone call from the wife telling me she would donate my bike to the Salvo's if I dont get my arse back home quick smart.

L

longlasting

Reminds me of two different movies, "Last Holiday" and "The Bucket List", both go in slightly different directions, but since we had a death in the family recently and seeing how the family were more worried about what they would get, I would be inclined to sell off everything and go mad spending the money I made.

Guess I won't know until it happens though. Depends on who I have around me.

W

WRXXXR

Interesting question!

A guy (rather wealthy, late 60's, still at work) I know recently died of cancer and he simply took his family for a good holiday and didn't tell them until about 3 weeks before he died. He refused treatment and continued to live life as normal until he figured (let's say he knew a bit about cancer!!) his time was almost up.

Don't know what I would do though. Probably wouldn't tell my family / friends until last minute either

J

JasRob

Great question and It reminds me of everything here on earth isn't permanent..having a good life and not realizing that it would end up someday..well for me i think i'd go travel and live the remaining days of my life to the fullest..sell everything and spend more time with family and friends...if its not treatable then thats what im going to do but if there's hope and can still be cured i think i'd spend it to extend my years here...

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gentleman

But what if you sold everything and spent all the money and you lived alot longer than what the doctor expected? I have heard of that happening before.

P

Professor

Hmm... brings back a few memories.

My father dies on cancer when quite young (38) and was given only 3 months at the time but managed to live out 3yrs. I was only very young so only have my mothers account, he simply lived life as normally as possible and didn't tell anyone until towards the end, eve my Mum.

My father-in-law died of cancer a few years back (2007) and i spoke to him one day about what he wanted to do, as he had enough time and realistically enough money to do most things. His reply was that he wanted to spend time with his immediate family, his brothers and sister were all in the UK, and vsit Smiths Beach as often as possible (he considered this the most beautiful place he knew).

The simplicity of this was a hallmark of his character.

As stated by others, guess we all don't really know what we'd do until it occurs. My enduring learning, in an environment where his children were all "wanting" him to do a host of things whilst he had time, was that we all need to respect the individual's right to do as they wish and not judge. Be pleased that they have the ability to choose, many don't.

Almost certain that we may very well get our own turn at some point.

TheCock

Legend Member
Id travel around the world and meet girls from everywhere (Sweden in particular) but Id need the money. Take out a bank loan and go on a spending spree.

T

Tania Admin

If I sold everything off it would be so my friends, family and I could all enjoy the time I had left,,,after that I'm sure there would be nothing left for anyone to fight over and the memories would be priceless.

C

colbb123

If I sold everything off it would be so my friends, family and I could all enjoy the time I had left,,,after that I'm sure there would be nothing left for anyone to fight over and the memories would be priceless.

That's awesome Talysha.

Well, for me I'm imagining the old praying frequency would be making an exponential increase and I'd probably be thankful for the time for this to happen.

I always leave everything until the last minute, ''I'll do that one day''. Shit that is going to be a very very busy day hehe and I'd be calling in favours for help to get everything done on that dreaded 'one day' lol.

Ensure Will and Enduring Power of Attorney is up to date.

Also - Tools - internet options - clear bloody everything - yes even the cache's whatever they are....then ensure the laptop meets with a very unfortunate accident.

Then have a think about how to spend the rest of my time here:)

Happy2

Legend Member
Yes Colbb that damn hard drive is going to cause problems after we go
Wasn't Uncle Joe Bloggs a lovely man Then they trawl your computer and your Uncle Joe is just another dirty old man
Unless of course your in the will And he hasn't spent it all enjoying his last days or trying to get better