• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Help Wanted With Darwin's Sex Industry History

T

Tania Admin

I am going to be doing a write up on Browns Mart Theater, which at one stage was a brothel run by an ex police superintendent.

I am hoping some of our Darwin members may be able to help out with information on history of other brothels and the sex industry here in Darwin since Darwin was settled.

Even funny stories that you may have heard about days gone past regarding brothels and the sex industry here.

All information would be so so so appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MikeB

Legend Member
I am going to be doing a write up on Browns Mart Theater, which at one stage was a brothel run by an ex police superintendent.

I am hoping some of our Darwin members may be able to help out with information on history of other brothels and the sex industry here in Darwin since Darwin was settled.

Even funny stories that you may have heard about days gone past regarding brothels and the sex industry here.

All information would be so so so appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Have worked on and off in and around the NT with various periods based in Darwin over the past 30-40 years - since just after Tracy.

Round 30+ years ago, the Cherry Blossom Motel on the Esplanade was well known as a room by the hour option with no questions asked....

The strip shows at various pubs were also legendary, many of the strippers doubled as W/Ls to offer extras between the shows. The strips were also extremely raunchy often with toy show/anal beads etc and even on occasions live sex shows (with a punter often selected at random from the audience):excited: .....

These shows were at various times at venues such as the old Airport Tavern on McMillans Rd, the "Cage" at the Nightcliff pub (famous for its Sunday morning session and live sex shows), the Darwin Hotel, the Cavenagh Hotel (not sure that was its name then), and the pub on the corner of Daly/Mitchell Streets that later became a full strip club.

The pub strip shows tended to become much tamer when Sinsations opened in Edmunds St about 20 years ago - but if you played your cards right, the girls would (much more discretely than previously) arrange extras beyond just a lap dance...:rolleyes:

Once at what is now the Travelodge Resort on Cavenagh St, we were travelling with a group of Little Atheltes for a carnival and came back to their rooms after night competition round 10:30-11. A group of the older lads were walking down a corridor to their room, past a function room, when the function room door flew open and out popped a stripper in full birthday suite. You can imagine - much to the delight of the groups of 13-15 year old boys:D must have been the highlight of the carnival!!!! (And she never flinched or covered up just carried on as if it was nothing out of the ordinary......

Those were the days :rolleyes: Haven't been for a few years has it changed much .........:D

Last edited:
T

Tania Admin

Thank you so much for sharing that with us @MikeB :)
If you're ever in Darwin in the future you should come and check out our establishment
The Chill Out Lounge :)