Has Perth's urban sprawl gone awry?

B

BigBlackCock

This is from today's West. I agree with this guy (as appears some others). For a long time I've wondered how much longer WA can just keep carving up bush so people can have their 3 beds, 2 baths and entertainment/home cinema spaces. It's all dependent on car ownership as well.

I do think the time has come for people to consider living in townhouses or units closer to town (at a cost of a house out in woop woop) or else the joke about living in a suburb called "South Geraldton" may not be laughable anymore.

Perth an urban horror: activist

One of the world's most prominent environmental commentators believes life in Perth is a "wildly unsustainable, disaggregated urban nightmare".

George Monbiot, an outspoken environment and sustainability activist and columnist with London's influential Guardian news-paper, singled out Perth among Australian cities whose "sprawl and low density beggar belief".

In his column last week, Mr Monbiot said infrastructure was "stretched across sprawling suburbs, people have no choice but to drive and anonymous dormitory estates seem perfectly designed to generate alienation and anomie".

He advocated for denser cities amid a worldwide trend away from rural living towards urbanisation.

He also attacked governments for "weak planning" and said that without policies to keep cities compact and densities high, they would begin to fail "logistically, socially and economically".

Mr Monbiot's comments yesterday divided local planning experts and political leaders.

University of WA architecture professor and director of the WA Urban Design Centre, Richard Weller, said suburbia had served Perth "pretty well for a long time as a model of the Australian dream" and a lot of criticism was "hysterical and class based".

"Suburbia is the way Australians like to live and it has worked really, really well until now," he said.

"But it looks like it's going to be a bit of a problem in the future. It's probably not the right kind of urbanism for this century.

Marion Fulker, the chief of business-based think tank the Committee for Perth, said Mr Monbiot's comments were bleak and Perth was probably environmentally unsustainable.

However, it was an historical reality that Australian cities had been planned around the car.

"That's given us a greater freedom to travel and live in places that are potentially more affordable . . . in an upfront sense," she said.

Urban Development Institute of Australia WA chief Debra Goostrey said West Australians historically wanted big blocks.

"But what we're now realising is you cannot go on like that forever. Mr Monbiot is right," she said.

Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi said she did not believe in anti-suburban hysteria. "No urban form is perfect but given recent population growth, many are voting with their feet and joining one of the world's most liveable cities," she said.

A spokeswoman for Planning Minister John Day said the State Government's planning policy, Directions 2031, called for 47 per cent of new homes in the next 30 years to be infill, signalling a focus on higher-density living.

B

BigBlackCock

Another article in today's West.

When property in outer suburbs was all the rage
KIM MACDONALD, The West Australian
July 4, 2011,The West Australian ©

The year was 1985. Bob Hawke was in power, CDs had just hit the shops and Madonna claimed she was just like a virgin.

It was also the year when the average house in Wembley was cheaper than that in Wanneroo.

Homes in Ballajura were more expensive than in Subiaco. Duncraig cost more than beachside Trigg and a house in Leeming would set you back almost the same as one in Cottesloe.

Winthrop in the southern suburbs was one of the most expensive suburbs in WA.

A comparison of house prices shows a big change in price relativities in the past quarter of a century.

According to valuation expert Gavin Hegney, a change in lifestyle trends has helped some suburbs outperform others.

In 1985, homebuyers were keen on new estates in outer suburbs, where new homes with modern conveniences were a sign of wealth. The extension of the freeway south helped areas in the southern corridor such as Winthrop and Leeming become popular.

Older homes, particularly those in the inner western suburbs, were seen as small and outdated.

Mr Hegney, executive chairman of the Hegney Property Group, said aspirations had changed, with the beachfront areas becoming the so-called "lotto suburbs" in hot demand.

A renewed appreciation for older-style architecture and for areas closer to the city helped boost values in the western suburbs.

Mr Hegney predicted prices in the next decade would be driven by land values and transport issues.

He said areas around public transport hubs which were due for infill development under the State Government's Directions 2031 policy and had the greatest potential for capital growth included Rockingham, Morley, Fremantle, Mandurah, Joondalup and Stirling.

Wembley resident Joan Tyson and her husband Nigel bought a duplex block in Wembley in 1978 for $53,000.

"No one wanted to live in the older suburbs back then," she said.

"Our friends would say to us 'Why do you want to live in an old house?'. They loved their new homes because you were able to put a dishwasher in. But we never liked the suburbs where you had to get in the car to go buy a bottle of milk."

W

WRXXXR

I guess you could say I'm in south geraldton (mindarie) but still plenty of people who actually want a decent sized house, garage and backyard so naturally in the next 5+ years people will start building past two rocks and mandurah.

West Aussies still complain about shopping hours, daylight saving and Sunday trade so what makes the "property experts" think the majority of people will starting living in apartments? Not to mention that many people will become reluctant to buy an older house that's a shitter or buy an overpriced 800k apartment in the city

The reason for the future problems are due to the governments lack of planning. A 2 lane freeway is a perfect example.

B

BigBlackCock

But WR, what happens as the jam increases and the parking charges increase and petrol runs out as it becomes more expensive in the process? Wouldn't those properties further away be priced less or drop down in value?

At the same time, if people factor in the cost savings by living closer to town or wherever with accessible public transport e.g. light rail, train or buses, then wouldn't living closer even though in more expensive places become more attractive? The cost would still be cheaper than living further away and commuting wouldn't it?

Somewhere along the line, I suspect there'll be an environmental price to pay as well.

F

Farm Boy

When petrol runs out BBC urban sprawl will be the least of your worries .
because your will have nothing to eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
I still fail to understand why somebody would pay at least $500k for a house that has no backyard and is literally joined by a brick wall to the house next door (There`s a few of these in my neighbourhood) and then have to travel at least 45 minutes to get into the city to go to work rather then pay maybe $400k for an apartment in the city where they could just walk to work and at night time enjoy the river views.

W

WRXXXR

Your right BBC, transportation costs may be cheaper closer to the city but don't you think our public transport system is a joke? Rome and Paris are perfect examples of quality P/T. The station carparks are already full as it is. Unless you live within a 5min walk of a trainstation it's not worth it? Regardless of whether your 5mins or 50minutes from the city, urban planning has always been ordinary. Within 10 years I would imagine they will widen the freeways / major highways but why not do it in the first place?

If you asked the people of Perth what they thought about places like bullsbrook, yanchep, gidgie and mandurah, they'd tell you it's out in the sticks but traffic aside it's 30-60min out of the city and over east people think nothing of that.

I'm no expert but i believe that long term house / land prices are always going to rise. But then Greece could collapse and then it's anyone's guess. Fancy owning an island :p

Bill, admittedly blocks are getting smaller but its about lifestyle. Some people are happy to pay 500k for an apartment at burswood but to others it's just a hassle with traffic and people everywhere.

Currently I'm in sorrento while my house is getting finished and it takes me at least 45min to get to the city if I need to during peak hour. Normally 25min at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

bushseeker

Foundation Member
i live in a house with a 700sqm block and i can asure you that much garden/yard has knobs on it

I had to buy in perth in the hight of the boom so didnt get too may choices, love the foothills location 15km from perth for less than most places 30-40 and 50 pluss km from perth but big yards are for dick comparasons at the pub a far as im concerned - ive got better things to do with my time

B

BigBlackCock

And there's more in today's West.

High-density living near the city has plenty of benefits, including being close to restaurants and avoiding the freeway on the route to work, but further urban sprawl is inevitable and the Government must plan for it, Perth residents say.

East Perth resident Christopher Dowling said he enjoyed the inner-city lifestyle.

"East Perth is a fabulous place," he said.

Traditional suburbs won't work in future: expert | Suburb high-rise amenities stress | Travel books tells of a 'go it alone |

Mr Dowling said he did not think people would be able to keep building on big blocks and there would need to be more infill development in the city.

However, he believed Perth would continue to grow outwards and the Government needed to act to make life easier for those who lived further away.

"Make it a bit more accessible for people who don't have cars, put more train carriages on the line," he said.

Arun Fischer lives in Ocean Reef, but works in the city and goes jogging in East Perth after work. Mr Fischer said he had noticed increased traffic on the freeway.

"Everything is designed around the car, but the car is suddenly becoming something that bites you in the pocket," he said.

"People start to notice."

B

BigBlackCock

And another story in today's West yet again.

Traditional suburbs won't work in future: expertGARETH PARKER, The West Australian
July 5, 2011,

Perth's suburbia has served the city well for a century but it might not be the right model for the next 100 years, one of WA's leading experts on city planning says.

University of WA architecture professor and director of the WA Urban Design Centre Richard Weller said despite generations of an expanding urban frontier, Perth still had 300,000ha of degraded farmland "up our sleeve".

But rising oil prices and an urban environment designed almost entirely around the use of private cars meant Perth could leave its residents stranded.

"Perth's problem will be, if indeed we do start to run out of oil or the prices become so high as to be unaffordable, you've got a really dumb city because you can't get to your house," Professor Weller said.

"The city could adjust, jobs will decentralise and more people will work from home. But it's a bit of a trick, because we always say we are going to chase these new suburbs with jobs, and we don't.

"We're a very sprawled city that is still heavily reliant on its CBD."

Professor Weller's landmark 2009 book, Boomtown 2050, sketches a series of development scenarios for Perth out to 2056, when the city's population is projected to hit 4.2 million.

The State Government's official planning policy, Directions 2031, aims to cater for an extra 557,000 residents and 328,000 homes over the next 20 years, with 47 per cent of new homes to be built as infill and 53 per cent greenfield development. The existing percentage of infill development is just 30 per cent.

"I personally think we're going to see much more sprawl than you will infill because of the NIMBY (not in my backyard) factor," he said. "It's just going to kill it, it's too hard."

Professor Weller said the debate quickly degenerated into sprawl versus anti-sprawl but the reality was more nuanced. Suburbs developed their own character, diversity and community.

"If you start slagging the suburbs you're seen as un-Australian, if you don't slag the suburbs, you're seen as romanticising an imperilled form of urbanism.

"Inner-city dwellers and intellectuals like to look down their noses at suburbia. Those people can afford to live in fairly salubrious inner-city environments.

"Whereas in the suburbs, those homes are still affordable.

"Critics will argue, however, that the full costs (of suburban development) aren't being tabulated. That is to say that the carbon footprint of low density suburbs is very high. It all becomes pretty relative pretty quickly."

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Did I mention I live in the Southern Suburbs??
As much as I love the train line they built, there is not a good bus service to get you to the station and if you take your car then there is no guarantee you will get a parking spot.
Had a meeting in the city once and all the carparks were full, it was most annoying as you only found out once you had left the freeway and driven around the carpark.

Surely the government could afford to pay a couple workers to keep watch and put a FULL sign outside.

W

WRXXXR

That's right bill, the trains might be ok (then again is being jammed together a good start to the day?) but the buses are rubbish.

Currently perth city is hardly the be-all and end-all of Perth life. Its hardly Singapore, honkers, new York or Melbourne. It's simply a bunch of buildings with no soul. I mean how many of Perth residents actually need to use it regularly other than work? Maybe 20%? The streets are rubbish the parking is rubbish and with the exception of king street there is nothing that you can't buy elsewhere in Perth.

Bill, I bet life in southern burbs suits you just fine??

God help the scarf and fancy shoe wearing snobs and nerds on a 120k salary in the city who think they are rich because they can spend 500k on an apartment in burswood or east Perth. That sort of money gets you SFA in the northern coastal suburbs (just an example.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Grew up in close to Freo and always remember the good ole days when you could walk home if you happened to miss the last bus.
I also laughed when the government announced a huge progress when they introduced the tap and go card. Especially since Singapore had been using it for years before.

It`s not the price of the home that makes you rich but the way it feels when you first walk inside.
The old family homes backyard was big enough for my brother and I to be able to play backyard cricket, now your lucky is there is enough space for a pop up clothes line.

bushseeker

Foundation Member
That's right bill, the trains might be ok (then again is being jammed together a good start to the day?) but the buses are rubbish.

depends whee you are- I am in the eastern suburbs and while busses will never be as good as trains my bus leaves from 300m away and drives directly to the city taking 10min if its lucky longer than driving

I extremely rarely drive into the city - its just a pita to do that

B

BigBlackCock

They're promising more. Not sure if it'll work.

Millions to kickstart nine towns
BEN HARVEY STATE POLITICAL EDITOR, The West Australian
July 6, 2011, 2:20 am

The first regional centres to benefit from the WA Nationals' "SuperTowns" policy have been selected, paving the way for millions of dollars to be spent rejuvenating and expanding Katanning, Collie, Esperance, Northam, Jurien Bay, Morawa, Boddington, Manjimup and Margaret River.

WA Nationals leader and Regional Development Minister Brendon Grylls said money would be spent to ensure the towns were attractive options as the State's population swelled.

The nine towns will share $85.5 million from the Royalties for Regions Fund this year under the Regional Centres Development Plan - the formal policy for the SuperTowns project.

More than $5 million will be spent on planning, with the rest used to kickstart "transformational" projects, Mr Grylls said.

"The nine towns selected in the first round of SuperTowns now have the opportunity to build on their own unique identity and vision," he said.

"With population growth set to double in WA over the next 30 to 40 years, SuperTowns will offer more opportunities and amenities for people who choose to live in the State's regional areas and provide an attractive alternative to living in Perth."

Mr Grylls said attracting people to second-tier towns would take pressure off Perth. Ensuring schools and hospitals were of a high standard would make people more inclined to consider moving to the country.

"I'm very convinced that they look at social amenity - are there nice parks, can you get a decent coffee, is there a decent hairdresser," he said.

Regional development commissions and local councils would take the lead in implementing the project. Towns not listed for first round funding would have the opportunity to participate in a future round.

Shadow regional development minister Mark McGowan said the SuperTowns program would work only if the areas selected had a sound economic future.

The Opposition has described it as "1970s style social engineering".

W

WRXXXR

Out of that list there's really only 2 potential winners.

Margs and esperance and esperance is already big (compared to say katanning).

I think they need to work bunbury, esperance, Albany and Gero as these places have the abilities to become cities and already support a reasonable population. I mean how many mining jobs could be run out of Gero instead of Perth? Heaps! The new road is sensational and if you are coming from the northern suburbs it's so much quicker.

I predict that Jurien bay will start to become the new dunsborough in the next 5 years

B

BigBlackCock

There's still hope!!

Groups urge quick action on transport
KENT ACOTT, The West Australian
July 12, 2011,

Transport groups are looking for detail rather than rhetoric when the State Government releases its long-awaited public transport network plan on Thursday.

The plan, more than two years in the making, will advocate the use of light rail and rapid transit systems in Perth for the first time. It will also propose extensions to the heavy rail system, including more spur lines and an extension north to Yanchep but not to Ellenbrook.

Experts say a blueprint for the future development of public transport in Perth is long overdue and now has to be matched by quick action.

RAC head of member advocacy Matt Brown said the plan needed to spell out the Government's priorities and set down timelines for delivery.

He said it also had to "ensure new communities are adequately serviced by new public transport links before they become established".

This should include an increase in radial routes that connect Perth's outer suburbs because at present most public transport users have to travel through Perth to get anywhere.

Shadow transport minister Ken Travers agreed, saying the plan needed to provide better east-west connections and enable people to reach a destination without having to transit through the central business district.

"This is about reducing travel times on public transport and also relieving pressure on the central Perth infrastructure that is becoming increasingly congested," he said.

Mr Travers said a major focus of the plan should be on a dramatic improvement of public transport infrastructure in the northern suburbs, east of Wanneroo Road.

He said the outer suburbs should be serviced by extensions to the existing rail systems, including Forrestfield and the Perth Hills (via Perth Airport), Yanchep, Ellenbrook, Stratton, Canning Vale and Serpentine/Jarrahdale.

Motor Trades Association chief executive Stephen Moir said it was important the plan outlined a network that could be accessible for all, including those who chose to use a combination of public transport and private vehicles. The first light rail project is likely to be from Mirrabooka and Dianella, down Alexander Drive and to the city.

B

BigBlackCock

Plea for Perth light rail linksKENT ACOTT, The West Australian
July 12, 2011, 2:37 am tweet0EmailPrint

Sustainability expert Peter Newman has a plan - a radical transport plan to connect Perth's most significant growth areas.

The Curtin University professor's Perth: 21st Century City plan centres on light rail - a modern tram system that can fit on street medians and carry 20 times more people than a lane of traffic.

And with public transport growth dramatically outstripping car use in WA, Professor Newman believes there is no time to waste and innovative financing arrangements need to be considered, just as has been done in other places.

"On the Gold Coast, the local government raised a development levy to pay for their share of a light rail project," he said. "It had fantastic support from the community."

A similar funding arrangement could be applied in Perth, he argues.

Professor Newman's plan identifies Perth's eight most significant developments - the Northbridge Link, Riverside Drive, Stirling City, Murdoch Activity Centre, Curtin Town, the University of WA/Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Cockburn Coast and Fremantle East City - and connects them with potential light rail links. Professor Newman believes funding from private sources, perhaps via a similar development levy to the Gold Coast, could help finance the project.

Transport Minister Troy Buswell is not averse to private investment in the public transport sector.

"Private companies already play a significant role in our transport system, and there's no reason why this relationship cannot be expanded," he said shortly after taking over the portfolio.

Professor Newman also believes the State Government should use the Perth: 21st Century City concept to secure Commonwealth funding through Infrastructure Australia.

Professor Newman, who is on the board of Infrastructure Australia, said WA was the only State not to apply for such funds.

Greens senator Scott Ludlam agreed that WA had not done enough to secure financial support from the Federal Government.

C

Contrarian

There are other aspects about urban sprawl which I find disturbing - automation and accompanying architecture. I lived in the older parts of Vic Park, Nedlands, West Leederville in my teenage/student years. It was fantastic being able to pop into a neighbour's/fellow student's place for a cuppa and a chat. I knew my neighbours.

Nowadays with the new homes, you're lucky to even have a nodding relationship with them due to architectural changes:

1. You don't manually water your lawns anymore so you don't see your neighbours. Reticulation has killed that.

2. You don't get out of your car to open your gate and you don't park your car in the street anymore. So, less opportunity for neighbourly waves again. Automatic garage doors have killed that.

3. The Jarrah picket fence was low enough for you to chat over a mug of tea enroute to your shed, to lend each other garden tools, chat while mowing the lawn. Extremely high colourbond fences, lack of backyards, replacing a shed with a store room and artificial turf has put paid to that.

4. The neighbourhood/corner deli has long gone the way of the dinosaur. People don't walk or cycle to the shop - they drive to the shopping centres. Old people who can't drive will just have to leg it.

5. Cluster type housing means you don't even have windows facing each other.

So to me, Perth's urban sprawl has gone awry in other ways too.

Ooh, one more thing - the neighbourhood oval has disappeared too. Too expensive a piece of real estate.

Happy2

Legend Member
Ooh, one more thing - the neighbourhood oval has disappeared too. Too expensive a piece of real estate.
It is also a compensation claim just waiting to happen In the eyes of the council So they cant allow fun! Just in case