Favorite Reads

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

After seeing Rochelle's post about a box of books, What is your favorite book?

A

AlexandraSilk

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton.

The imagery Tim uses in his writings are captivating.

J

jessiemarie

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Provocative subject matter aside, it's beautifully written.

W

WRXXXR

Anything from Tim Winton. Had read everything of his. Lockie Leonard ones FTW lol. It was very easy to relate in early high school!

This week I smashed Keith Fennels Warrior Training in one sitting so I immediately went and got his first book Warrior Brothers. He's a very switched on ex SAS bloke and I found the books incredibly motivating. I consider myself fairly strong mentally but some of the stuff those blokes do is in a different world.

A

Ava Valentine

All time favourite : Life of Pi- Yann Martel.

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones at the moment- also very good.

David_San

Gold Member
Robert G Barrett writes these Les Norton books, probably my favorite Aussie Author.

Like the Malcolm X Biography. raging bull Jake Lamotta was good. Monster Cody Scott is another one.

Happy2

Legend Member
I am half way through Empire of the Moghul ruler of the world by Alex rutherford
Never really been into historical fiction But have found this captivating so far
And Ava I like your choice in A Game of thrones It is also one of the few books made into a mini series where the TV show
is true to the books

G

Gentleman

I enjoyed reading Red Dog last year. Managed to get the book before I saw the movie.

G

Gentleman

And what would you recommend Gentleman the book or the movie?

Both, in the book it describes the dog's feelings whereas in the movie you don't get that. The movie goes more into the relationship of John and his girlfriend. There are a few differences in the storyline so it was a little bit confusing watching the movie after reading the book. The book itself is not very big, I read it in about 3 hours.

Happy2

Legend Member
I guess I will have to man up and go and see it one day. Take a niece or nephew along as a excuse maybe

G

Gentleman

I guess I will have to man up and go and see it one day. Take a niece or nephew along as a excuse maybe

Just say you would like to see how the director portrayed the Pilbara region in the 70s.

chris.shiherlis

Silver Member
I watched red dog recently and i absolutely loved it, i want to read the book now!

There a few books I could recommend but unfortunately they are from Latinamerican writers :(

I am reading A Thousand Splendid Suns now and it's so sad but absolutely captivating at the same time

crutilities

Silver Member
Favourite book is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson

I also liked The Ice Harvest, cannot recall who wrote that.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
At the moment I am into Scandinavian writers. They are getting far more attention in our part of the world since Stieg Larsson's famous trilogy.
Jo Nesco's The Snowman and Mons Kallentoft's Midwinter Sacrifice are rather good reads.

R.xxxxxxxxxx

T

Tania Admin

The Hobbit and The Lord of the rings,,,I read them the first time at the age of 10 and have probably read them close to 100 times since then and will again many more :)

Happy2

Legend Member
The Hobbit and The Lord of the rings,,,I read them the first time at the age of 10 and have probably read them close to 100 times since then and will again many more :)

I too like that series of books Talysha I do remember saying to people How the hell can you read the same book several times you already know the ending But now I am guilty of that with the lord of the rings Though I have never seen the movie

T

Tania Admin

I too like that series of books Talysha I do remember saying to people How the hell can you read the same book several times you already know the ending But now I am guilty of that with the lord of the rings Though I have never seen the movie

I have to admit that generally the movies aren't as good as the books, but in this case the movie was outstanding, it was like they had crawled in my head and stolen my visions

P

Peter

Thank you every one I now have some great ideas for what to read when out bush or at home alone, such a wonderful response to this thread. You are all wonderful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.