Dirty Girl Book: About Madam Shirley Finns Murder & So Much More

T

Tania Admin

I've ordered the book today. I'm fascinated with the old Madam and Brothel History in WA and Australia and want to learn so much more.

Has anyone else read it?

Do you have any reading recommendations on Brothel/Madam History in Australia?

stovo82

Diamond Member
Underbelly: Razor. 1920s and 1930s Sydney, Australia.
Before Gangitano, Moran and Mr Asia, Australias underbelly was ruled by the deadliest crime lords ever Women! Welcome to the decadent and deadly world of Kate Leigh and Tilly Devine two legendary vice queens bound by their hatred for each other. Kate and Tilly reigned over rival empires built on gambling, prostitution, drugs, extortion and murder. Their battle for supremacy left a scar on Australias history and became our nations first bloody war. As gang fought gang, criminal turned on criminal and Kate and Tilly finally faced each other, the streets ran with blood and everyone would feel the cut of the razor.
Theme song: Rolling in the Deep- Adele.

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
The Lady Juliana | The 18th-Century All-Women Prison Ship. I am not aware of any book, but I am sure there is one.

A tale as wild as the Seven Seas, the story of the Lady Juliana, a special convict ship full of prisoners sent to Australia, is one of the strangest in the continent's history. The Lady Juliana had a specific mission: carrying a cargo of female prisoners the British government hoped would help reform the struggling convict colony in New South Wales. This motley crew of British women ultimately had a lasting impact on the history of Australia.

stovo82

Diamond Member
The mysterious murder of Shirley Finn is a unsolved cold case of 1975. Her mysterious death is linked to political corruption and a cover up has ensured the real killer has never been brought to justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tania Admin

Underbelly: Razor. 1920s and 1930s Sydney, Australia.
Before Gangitano, Moran and Mr Asia, Australias underbelly was ruled by the deadliest crime lords ever Women! Welcome to the decadent and deadly world of Kate Leigh and Tilly Devine two legendary vice queens bound by their hatred for each other. Kate and Tilly reigned over rival empires built on gambling, prostitution, drugs, extortion and murder. Their battle for supremacy left a scar on Australias history and became our nations first bloody war. As gang fought gang, criminal turned on criminal and Kate and Tilly finally faced each other, the streets ran with blood and everyone would feel the cut of the razor.
Theme song: Rolling in the Deep- Adele.
Not exactly what I'm looking for buy thank you :)

T

Tania Admin

The mysterious murder of Shirley Finn is a unsolved cold case of 1975. Her mysterious death is linked to political corruption and a cover up has ensured the real killer has never been brought to justice.
I've read quite a lot about it over the years.

This book is supposed to be an amalgamation of so much information. I don't think the mystery will be solved.

It's not really the murder I want history about. It's the brothels and madame etc. Not just the shady goings on.

The Lady Juliana | The 18th-Century All-Women Prison Ship. I am not aware of any book, but I am sure there is one.

A tale as wild as the Seven Seas, the story of the Lady Juliana, a special convict ship full of prisoners sent to Australia, is one of the strangest in the continent's history. The Lady Juliana had a specific mission: carrying a cargo of female prisoners the British government hoped would help reform the struggling convict colony in New South Wales. This motley crew of British women ultimately had a lasting impact on the history of Australia.
Thanks. I will look into it.

Madmax1700

Legend Member

Wow interesting

T

Tania Admin

Ooooh. My book was just delivered.
Should only take me a day to read if I have no distractions.
Will let you all know what I think.
20200505_141345.jpg

@Happy Pirate I have been having difficulty trying to find much info on the Lady Julianna ladies unfortunately.

T

Tania Admin

Wow, wow, wow!

What an insight into the goings on, the madams and the industry in Perth from the 60's onwards. I started reading at lunch time today and I'm 1/2 way through.

This book not only tells you some of Shirley Finns story but also includes snippets and stories of Leigh Varis Beswick, Dorrie Flatman, Stella Strong, Rose Black (Dean), Shirley Brifman, Josie Dr Brat and many others.

It has me totally intrigued.

doob

Legend Member

Rot in hell Roger Rogerson. You could have saved Shirley Finn's family a whole lot of heartache.

doob

Legend Member

Shirley Finn's mysterious life, from parties with Elton John to her execution-style death​

By Briana Shepherd
An angled shot of murdered Perth brothel madam Shirley Finn standing wearing a black and white striped top.

A coronial inquest into the murder of Shirley Finn has raised more questions than answers.(Facebook: Bridget Shewring)

On a wintry Sunday in 1975, around the stroke of midnight, Shirley Finn was shot four times in the head — her body found the next morning slumped over the wheel of her white Dodge Phoenix at the Royal Perth Golf Course.
It was immediately clear the well-known brothel madam had been murdered, yet decades later, that remains one of the only known facts surrounding the case.
The mother-of-three was facing a $100,000 tax debt and was killed two days before a hearing on the matter, where she had been threatening to blow the whistle on illicit dealings by politicians, businessmen and police.
Black and white photo of Shirley and three kids in a portrait photo

Ms Finn pictured with her three children, Shane, Bridget and Steven.(Supplied)
Despite two cold case reviews, the execution-style killing has never been solved.
An inquest into her murder, led by coroner Barry King, has this week heard from seven witnesses — all relying on recollections of events that occurred 42 years ago.
In total, 30 witnesses have appeared at the inquest so far — yet their evidence has raised more questions than it has answered, slowly revealing just how little is known about that fateful night in June 1975.

Parties with Elton and meetings with 'The Bear'​

Ms Finn lived on Riverview Street in South Perth with her girlfriend Rose Black and 12-year-old daughter Bridget Shewring.
The house was Ms Finn's mansion and she adored it. The court heard she would often host large parties — once welcoming legendary singer Elton John through her doors.
A black and white picture of Elton John wearing glasses and a feathery costume at the 1975 Rock Music Awards.

Elton John at the 1975 Rock Music Awards — the same year Ms Finn was murdered.(Wikimedia Commons: CBS Television)
Ms Black and Ms Shewring both told the court that on June 22 1975 — the Sunday night before Ms Finn's body was found — they had a barbecue at home.

The fearsome cop, 'Silver Fox', ex-premier and slain brothel madam​

The Shirley Finn inquest has painted a picture of a city in the swinging 70s wracked with crime, gambling, and prostitution.
A composite of historical images of Shirley Finn in a cowboy hat, Ray O'Connor, Bernie Johnson and Don Hancock.

Ms Shewring said her mother asked her to have an early night, so she went to bed around 9:20pm.
Ms Black said her "lover" had asked her to leave the house that night because she was going to meet a person called "The Bear", who had arranged for someone from Sydney to come over and fix her tax debt.
She told the court "The Bear" was the same person her girlfriend would meet once a month. She believed Ms Finn was paying him a fee in return for operating her brothel.
A previous witness, convicted race-fixer Robert Meyers, told the court Bernie Johnson — the fearsome head of the police Vice Squad in 1975 — was known as "BJ the Bear".
Ms Black said she later considered that "Bernie Johnson and The Bear were one and the same", but could not be sure.
A tight head shot of former WA Police detective Bernie Johnson.

Ex-detective Bernie Johnson was described by one witness as "a crim with a badge".(Supplied)
On that Sunday night, she said she found Ms Finn crying while getting ready.
"The taxation bill was huge … and it put her under a lot of pressure and stress," she told the court.
"She was nervous and didn't feel good about the whole [meeting].
"I think at the last moment she wanted to back out."
Ms Black told the court she offered to accompany Ms Finn — even to hide in the boot of her car — but could not because it had two garbage bags of money in it, meant as payment for making the tax problem disappear.
She explained how she left the house around 8:00pm and went to a friend's apartment, where she was told to expect a call from Ms Finn.
"[Shirley] said 'hold tight and I'll come and get you when it's over'," Ms Black said.

Who saw what?​

A post mortem found Ms Finn died about midnight, yet the details leading up to that remain largely unknown.
At 9:40pm, Ms Finn's neighbour's daughter Loretta Jackson saw the brothel madam leaving her house.
She told the inquest Ms Finn was wearing a "lovely ball gown", walking down the drive fiddling in her evening purse — as if looking for keys.
A black and white photo of Shirley Finn wearing a flowing ball gown.

One witness says they saw Ms Finn leaving her house in a ball gown on the night she died.(Supplied: Bridget Shewring)
However, no bag or purse was found at the murder scene.
Ms Jackson said police later pushed her to change her story so it did not include the bag, which was found at the house in South Perth the next morning.
Later that night, a number of witnesses placed Ms Finn's iconic car at the golf course in South Perth — the same place her body was found.
Steve Couacaud told the court he saw a police van parked next to a white Dodge with a woman inside it about 10pm.
However, another witness — former motorcycle officer Brian Eddy — placed her in East Perth.
Retired traffic policeman Brian Allen Eddy in a wheelchair outside the Western Australian Coroner's Court in Perth with two men.

Brian Eddy gave evidence at the inquest, saying he was told to keep his mouth shut.(AAP: Rebecca Le May)
He said he saw Ms Finn at the police canteen around 11:30pm in the company of Detective Johnson, although he did admit in court it could have been the night before.
Yet another witness put Ms Finn kilometres away from the golf course at exactly the same time.
Former security officer Peter Burns told the court he saw her at the University of Western Australia's Crawley campus at 11:30pm.
He said he believed he was the last person to see Ms Finn alive — parked up in her white Dodge with its distinctive black roof.
However, Edward and Elaine Moseley told the court they saw the white Dodge back at the golf course sometime between 11:30pm and midnight.
A black and white photo of a car with its two front doors open

Ms Finn was found shot dead in her car at Royal Perth Golf Course.(Supplied)
Mr Moseley said it had its headlights on and its doors wide open.
The couple also said they saw two people near the Dodge — one of them a woman who matched Ms Black's description.

Rose Black's story​

Ms Black was paraded in front of the couple at the police station after the murder — but Mr and Mrs Moseley said they could not be sure it was the same woman they had seen at the golf course.
Shirley Finn's former girlfriend Rose Black stands smiling holding a drink in a glass and wearing sunglassses.

Rose Black was Ms Finn's "lover" and was living with her in South Perth in 1975.(Supplied)
Police also conducted a ballistic test to see if Ms Black had shot a firearm and tested some of her clothes.
One outfit was found to have blood which matched both her and Ms Finn's blood type.
A black and white photo showing Rose Black sitting on the knee of Perth brothel madam Shirley Finn.

Ms Black (R) says she has lived in fear that what happened to Ms Finn could happen to her.(Supplied)
Ms Black did not provide any explanation for the stains.
Lawyers pushed Ms Black on why Ms Finn would ask her to leave the house that night, as it had meant leaving her 12-year-old daughter home alone.
She was asked why she had checked into a hotel on Hay Street after leaving her friend's place around midnight.
The court also heard the friend Ms Black said she had gone to see had written a statement saying she had not been home that night.
Ms Shewring has long believed her mother's ex-girlfriend has been hiding something.
She left court after Ms Black's long-awaited testimony clearly upset and disappointed by the lack of detail in her evidence.
For her part, Ms Black told the court she had lived in fear for decades — afraid that what happened to Ms Finn could happen to her.

The fear of retribution​

Fear has become a common theme among many witnesses at the inquest — some clearly trepidatious about openly talking of that time in 1975, and others spilling all after decades of silence.
Shirley Finn stands with her hands on her hips in a white dress smiling for the camera.

Ms Finn had threatened to blow the whistle on illicit dealings by prominent figures.(Supplied: Bridget Shewring)
Perth was certainly a different place back then, full of illegal gambling joints, prostitution, dodgy race fixing and wild parties.
The court has heard numerous reports of police corruption, including that Detective Johnson was running the town, taking payment from brothels and gambling venues in return for protection and tip-offs to raids.
Mr Johnson, who now has dementia and lives in a nursing home south of Perth, has been linked by numerous witnesses to Ms Finn's murder.
On Thursday, the brothel madam's dressmaker Glenn Properjohn described the detective as "ruthless" and "bombastic", admitting he was still fearful to talk about him.
Mr Meyers — the horse trainer who knew the detective as "BJ The Bear" — told the court he had no doubt the detective shot Ms Finn, describing him as "a crim with a badge" and "a very violent man".
For now, the search for answers is on pause. The inquest is not due to resume until December 12, when another 10 or more witnesses are due to give testimony.
When the inquest began in August, coroner Barry King indicated it was likely proceedings would run into next year.
A New Year, full of new — and old — questions that remain unanswered.