Did You Know,,,,,?

P

Peter

In 1988 two researchers at the University of Michigan, Roland Zapp and Galen Brown, produced the world's first apple-shaped, apple-sized computer.
Technically it was described as an Impact-detector device. Packed into the back of a truck with a real load of fruit, the apple look alike would record the impact of bumps and bangs during a journey, providing detailed information on exactly when and where fruit was being damaged in transit. :eek:ccasion14

P

Peter

The Sumerians invented writing, built the worlds first cities - and invented the wheel in about 3500 BC

Aztec Monkey

Silver Member
In 1988 two researchers at the University of Michigan, Roland Zapp and Galen Brown, produced the world's first apple-shaped, apple-sized computer.
Technically it was described as an Impact-detector device. Packed into the back of a truck with a real load of fruit, the apple look alike would record the impact of bumps and bangs during a journey, providing detailed information on exactly when and where fruit was being damaged in transit. :eek:ccasion14

Unfortunately, an Impact-detector device was lost in transit and someone broke a tooth after mistaking it for a real apple. Hence the term "byte" came into existence.

No, not really. I am so going to hell for that one. :tongue3:

W

wingman

Unfortunately, an Impact-detector device was lost in transit and someone broke a tooth after mistaking it for a real apple. Hence the term "byte" came into existence.

No, not really. I am so going to hell for that one. :tongue3:

Not far off. The word byte came from the early computer programmers as it was the maximum amount of information their computer could eat at a time.

Later, changed the spelling so it wouldn't get confused with bit. (There are 8 bits in a byte)

Happy2

Legend Member

Love it Aztec Monkey wingmans sounds far closer to the truth But hey what they say "Why let facts get in the way of a good story"

Aztec Monkey

Silver Member

Love it Aztec Monkey wingmans sounds far closer to the truth But hey what they say "Why let facts get in the way of a good story"

In fact did you know that the "Why let facts get in the way of a good story"
was what was uttered when they started writing the Bible?

Hmm, I think someone might Jihad my arse for that one. :nono:
Hopefully it's one of the ladies at Langtrees :p

P

Peter

The word MILE comes from Latin mille-passuum, meaning 1000 paces. A Roman pace was the distance covered by two strides!

P

Peter

Only two flowering plants grow in Antarctica. One is a grass, the other is a relative of the Carnation!

P

Peter

The Australian Southern Buster (in Perth the Fremantle Doctor), a cool wind that blows in from the sea to the South Coast, can reduce temperatures up 20 deg/cel (36 deg/F) in just minutes.

Point to ponder the Fremantle Doctor was originally called the Fremantle Docker, it was the wind needed to bring sailing ships into harbour. ( The reason Freo was a night port in the early years), it was corrupted by journalists and the present name caught on.

P

Peter

G'day everyone I'm back to chat to all you fantastic peeps. Still finding my way around the new set up, but it is a real treat to see it developing. Are you all coming into the Lounge, if you haven't visited us Please do, and ladies remember to ask for you free massage. :eek:ccasion15:laughing4:icon_blow:3some::headbang::love76::love8:

P

Peter

One species of bacterium Bacillus subtilis, cab reproduce itself every 20 minutes. As it does this simply by splitting in two, in the right conditions a single cell can generate 16 million offspring in just 8 hours.

P

Peter

Many Bacteria that live on the human body reproduce efficiently in warm, damp conditions. Taking a hot bath or shower may wash off innumerable dead bacteria, but it also encourages those remaining to increase their rate of production by up to 20 times.

C

colbb123

Many Bacteria that live on the human body reproduce efficiently in warm, damp conditions. Taking a hot bath or shower may wash off innumerable dead bacteria, but it also encourages those remaining to increase their rate of production by up to 20 times.

Gross - I'm only showering in dry water from now on-

P

Peter

Our Brains work harder than the rest of our bodies. For although the brain comprises little more than 2% of the bodies weight, it uses up 20% of the bodies energy.

T

Tania Admin

I always turn the hot water off and rinse in cold water after a shower, good for my skin and also good for my hair :)