• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

PizzaCatAnna

Bronze Member
Hello,

Has any lady on here had a depo injection? I'm wanting to try alternate birth-control because honestly, taking a pill every night is the most annoying thing ever. I'm curious to know if anyone who's had/is having depo shots experienced any side-effects and if they would recommend it over, say, an implant.

Madam Tracey

Cyclone Langtrees
Staff member
Legend Member
Hello,

Has any lady on here had a depo injection? I'm wanting to try alternate birth-control because honestly, taking a pill every night is the most annoying thing ever. I'm curious to know if anyone who's had/is having depo shots experienced any side-effects and if they would recommend it over, say, an implant.
I think it has been banned in some countries.
I had 4 shots (30 years ago)....put on heaps of weight. Stopped menstrating for about two years.
I have read articles about it causing premature menopause and lots of various side effects...but...that was all years ago. I like to believe that they have refined the dosage by now. It will be interresting to see what responses
you get to your question. For me , I preferred and IUD (Copper7).

T

Tania Admin

I had the Depo injection about 9 years ago,,I pretty much spotted the whole time until it was taken out and it made me moody.
I also reacted the same to the implant.

Miss Chloe

A Sensual & Kinky Affair
Diamond Member
I've never been able to remember taking the pill. I tried the implant but every time it gets out in or taken out it leaves a little scar. Fussy; I know. But I don't want a bunch of little scars on my arm.
I'm meant to be trying the Depo shot as it only has to be done every 3 months (so if I time it right I can just do it with my medical) but I'm still undecided. I hope someone on here has tried it and can let us know :)

Bambi

Creature in the Shadows
Legend Member
Disadvantages of the Birth Control Shot?
Some women may have undesirable side effects while using the birth control shot. But many women adjust to it with few or no problems. Serious problems do not occur often.

Irregular bleeding is the most common side effect, especially in the first 6 to 12 months of use.
  • For most women, periods become fewer and lighter. After one year, half of the women who use the birth control shot will stop having periods completely.
  • Some women have longer, heavier periods.
  • Some women have increased spotting and light bleeding between periods.
These side effects are completely normal. Some woman may worry that they are pregnant if they do not have a regular period. But when the birth control shot is used correctly, it is very effective. If you are concerned about a possible pregnancy, you can always take a pregnancy test.

There are also some less common side effects:
  • change in sex drive
  • change in appetite or weight gain
  • depression
  • hair loss or increased hair on the face or body
  • headache
  • nausea
  • sore breasts
There is no way to stop the side effects of Depo-Provera — they may continue until the shot wears off, in 12 to 14 weeks.

It’s important that you find a method that won’t make you feel sick or uncomfortable. If the side effects from the birth control shot continue to bother you, talk with your health care provider.

Because the birth control shot is long lasting, it can take a long time to get pregnant after getting your last shot — anywhere from 6–10 months. So, Depo-Provera is not a good birth control method for you if you’re thinking of getting pregnant soon.

Serious problems usually have warning signs. Report any of these signs to your health care provider immediately:
  • a new lump in your breast
  • major depression
  • migraine with aura — seeing bright, flashing zigzags, usually before a very bad headache
  • pus, pain for many days, or bleeding where you were given the shot
  • unusually heavy or prolonged vaginal bleeding
  • yellowing of the skin or eyes
Although Depo-Provera is highly effective in preventing pregnancy, in the very rare cases where pregnancy does occur, it is more likely to be an ectopic pregnancy, which can be life threatening.

Women who use the birth control shot may have temporary bone thinning. It increases the longer they use it. Bone growth begins again when women stop using the shot. Talk with your health care provider about the risks. You can help protect your bones by exercising regularly and getting extra calcium and vitamin D, either through the food you eat or from vitamin supplements.

Bambi

Creature in the Shadows
Legend Member
How Safe Is the Birth Control Shot?
Most women can use the birth control shot safely. But all medications have some risks, so safety is a concern when choosing a birth control method. Certain conditions increase the risk of serious side effects.

You should not use the shot if you
  • are taking the medication aminoglutethamide to treat Cushing's syndrome
  • are pregnant
  • have breast cancer
  • have had fragility bone fractures (breaks)
Talk with your health care provider about your health and whether the shot is likely to be safe for you.

There are many other methods of birth control that may be safe for you if you cannot use the shot. Read about other methods to find one that may be right for you.