• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

David Bowie;- R.I.P

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/3054641...ld-remembers-legendary-glam-icon-david-bowie/

'Goodbye Ziggy': The world remembers legendary glam icon David Bowie

David Bowie’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame has been covered with candles, flowers and glitter, as residents reacted to the news of the icon’s death from cancer.

Bowie was inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Feb. 12, 1997.

The Hollywood Historic Trust will place a wreath at his star later Monday.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-12_at_5.24.08_AM.png

In Berlin, where David Bowie recorded his "Heroes" album, a makeshift memorial has sprung up outside the star's old apartment.
Bowie’s death has certainly been felt across the music world.

The iTunes albums chart showed his last album ‘Blackstar’ at number 1, Best of Bowie was number 2 and two others made the top ten.
Members of the Rolling Stones say they are "shocked and deeply saddened" by David Bowie's death.

The band said in a statement "as well as being a wonderful and kind man, he was an extraordinary artist, and a true original."

Bowie and Stones frontman Mick Jagger teamed up in 1985 for "Dancing in the Street," a cover of the Motown classic that was a top 10 hit in Britain and the U.S.
Former Beatle Paul McCartney has also paid tribute, calling Bowie "a great star."

"His music played a very strong part in British musical history and I'm proud to think of the huge influence he has had on people all around the world," McCartney wrote on his website.

"I send my deepest sympathies to his family and will always remember the great laughs we had through the years. His star will shine in the sky forever."
Many of the tributes being offered to the late David Bowie have been personal, reflections of the life of the man as well as the star.

Bowie's son, director Duncan Jones, posted a picture of his smiling father, with the line, "Very sorry and sad to say it's true. I'll be offline for a while. Love to all."

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair, who described himself as a huge fan, said Bowie would be "deeply mourned."

"From the time I saw his Ziggy Stardust concert as a student, I thought he was a brilliant artist and an exciting and interesting human being,"
Blair said in a statement. "It was a great privilege when I got to meet him later in life."
Bowie had a strong love affair with Australia and lived in an apartment in Sydney for ten years.

The flamboyant rockstar owned a luxury apartment at Elizabeth Bay until 1992, but he kept a low profile to avoid media attention.

He would stay for at least one month at a time and often used the apartment as a base for his outback adventures and trips to far north Queensland.

Bowie’s first trip to Australia was during his 1978 Heroes World Tour.

He returned in the early 80s to film China Girl and Let’s Dance in Sydney.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-12_at_5.23.59_AM.png

He was fascinated with Australian culture and it featured heavily in his music during that time.

Let's Dance was filmed in a smoke-filled public bar at the Carinda Hotel in a tiny town in western New South Wales, which has since become a pilgrimage for tourists and fans.

The Starman travelled to Australia for four world tours – the 1978 Low/Heroes tour, the 1983 Serious Moonlight tour, the 1987 Glass Spider tour and the 2004 A Reality Tour.

David Bowie enjoyed a long and successful career, spanning six decades that saw him become one of the biggest recording artists of all time.

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
A true artist in every sense of the word, surprising and shocking us to the end. :):(

I saw the Five Years doco again last night. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't.

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
very sad .I had my first experience of DB when I was 8. I was living in Reading and there was a festival on and Ziggy Star Dust was the feature, I got to stare ( I wont say meet lol) to this fellow with colored outrageous hair in the co op on the main street!! I remember being completely amazed that any one dressed like that lol!! Became a fan of him at 16. Such a shame, we are losing so many great Icons of music that modern artists rarely compare to!!

Happy2

Legend Member
It hasn't been a good 4 months for muso's
Starting with Natalie Cole late December of course the big names David Bowie and Glenn Frey and don't forget Maurice White Who say the youngun's Founder of Earth Wind and Fire and Today
An Aussie from Daddy Cool Ross Hannaford

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I did miss this and we lost another legend last week i just can't remember his name. Both great musicians that gave millions joy, if only I could sing.......

XLNC

Legend Member
The procession of legendary musicians ascending to the great concert hall in the sky continues...
Merle Haggard, Country Music’s Outlaw Hero, Dies at 79
By BILL FRISKICS-WARRENAPRIL 6, 2016
Merle Haggard, one of the most successful singers in the history of country music, a contrarian populist whose songs about his scuffling early life and his time in prison made him the closest thing that the genre had to a real-life outlaw hero, died at his home in California, on Wednesday, his 79th birthday.

His death was confirmed by his agent, Lance Roberts. Mr. Haggard had recently canceled several concerts, saying he had double pneumonia.

Few country artists have been as popular and widely admired as Mr. Haggard. Thirty-eight of his singles, including “Workin’ Man Blues” and the 1973 recession-era lament “If We Make It Through December,” reached No. 1 on the Billboard country chart from 1966 to 1987. He released 71 Top 10 country hits in all, 34 in a row from 1967 to 1977. Seven of his singles crossed over to the pop charts.

He had an immense influence on other performers — not just other country singers but also ’60s rock bands like the Byrds and the Grateful Dead, as well as acts like Elvis Costello and the Mekons, all of whom recorded Mr. Haggard’s songs. Some 400 artists have released versions of his 1968 hit “Today I Started Loving You Again.”

He was always the outsider. His band was aptly named the Strangers.

Unlike his friend Johnny Cash, Mr. Haggard didn’t merely visit San Quentin State Prison to perform for the inmates. Convicted of burglary in 1957, he served nearly three years there and spent his 21st birthday in solitary confinement. ...

Full article: http://nyti.ms/25Lut6V

Last edited:

XLNC

Legend Member
For fans of classic country only (not suitable for trendoids):

RIP Merle Haggard

XLNC

Legend Member
I hope you haven't jinxed the world's great comedians, H2. If John Cleese, etc. start falling off the twig in quick succession, we'll know who to glare at.

Happy2

Legend Member
I hope you haven't jinxed the world's great comedians, H2. If John Cleese, etc. start falling off the twig in quick succession, we'll know who to glare at.
If I have You just go ahead and glare away I'm not scared of you
You're a whole continent away

Ozrock

Silver Member
Glenn Frey will be very much missed RIP
I am pleased I managed to see them a couple of times when they were in Australia just over a year ago. Glenn Frey also did a good concert with WASO before that,

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
R.I.P. Prince

Prince’s body was discovered in an elevator at his Paisley Park compound in Minnesota, early Thursday morning. His publicist Yvette Noel-Schure said: "It is with profound sadness that I am confirming that the legendary, iconic performer, Prince Rogers Nelson, has died at his Paisley Park residence this morning at the age of 57." The singer, who was known for his sexually charged lyrics and electric performances, made a final public appearance at a show on Sunday, where he did not sing, but said: 'Wait a few days before you waste any prayers'.

Happy2

Legend Member
When did this fetish of entertainers for killing chinamen hit such proportions? It's the only explanation for this huge upsurge in celebrity keelingoveritus
Please oh world entertainers Belt up a few chinamen by
all means, but don't kill them We need you to keep us amused

sparky

Legend Member
Prince has just joined the growing list of singers/entertainers passing away this year too

Happy2

Legend Member
Gene Wilder is another to add to the list
I do wonder if he was a forumite and just heard the news TS is closing down and lost the will to live

XLNC

Legend Member
Our childhood heroes are fading fast, H2...

19pp0n.jpg

7d1b8846cac0f2f07302933892589d7d6830cf33648b1f1dc203188f45a973fa.jpg

XLNC

Legend Member
Won't be long before they go stir crazy. They'll be OK as long as they act black. :D

XLNC

Legend Member
Yes, the second and third one (though it's the other way around, 'See no evil, hear no evil '). The first was from Stir Crazy.