Article about SA Prostitution situation and law changes

ecchimiki

Gold Member
I had originally planned to post this in the state board, but as it is an interesting article about SA and reflects how their proposed changes are actually going in the opposite direction to ours in WA, I post it here in the General Forum.

The pros and cons of having a brothel as a neighbour

Sadly, despite the title, the author's words about brothels are not kind at all... eg. "there’s a brothel where old pervs come and pay for sex and skulk off down the footpath after their tawdry commercial encounters."

G

Ghost Protocol

i am interested to hear the results of any genuine change of law in south aus
j

svengali

Foundation Member
Well, I can certainly see where the author is coming from. I would not want a brothel operating in my street simply because all the people who visit it would not be sober, upright citizens. I also have a deep loathing for pimps who seem to me to be parasites who simply live off the efforts of their girls and contribute very little towards the business.

Trouble is that any laws to regulate the industry must try and deal with a lot on conflicting interests and will naturally fall short in some areas. Our W.A. Government quite rightly wants to stop Asian gangsters setting up brothels in suburban areas but that has resulted in them also banning private home-based workers who cause no trouble at all.

Over all of this sits the problem of policing whatever laws eventually get passed. Do the Police have the resources to doorknock suburbia and/or trawl the papers looking for suburban operators? More to the point will they bother when there is plenty of "real" crime to deal with?
Sadly, we live in an age when Government seems hell-bent on regulating everything and in all probability they will keep worrying at this problem without achieving much.

Happy2

Legend Member
I have only lived in WA so cant speak about other states But why does WA have governments from both of politics sides
Who insist on a nanny state
As for regulation As svengali says Do the police have the time or inclination to enact these new regulations while violent crime is so rampant
I believe if you asked a Beat officer would he rather arrest a home invader or a girl just trying to make a living and provide for herself and maybe family He would rather see the true crim behind bars

Hornyball

Silver Member
Well, I can certainly see where the author is coming from. I would not want a brothel operating in my street simply because all the people who visit it would not be sober, upright citizens. I also have a deep loathing for pimps who seem to me to be parasites who simply live off the efforts of their girls and contribute very little towards the business.

Trouble is that any laws to regulate the industry must try and deal with a lot on conflicting interests and will naturally fall short in some areas. Our W.A. Government quite rightly wants to stop Asian gangsters setting up brothels in suburban areas but that has resulted in them also banning private home-based workers who cause no trouble at all.

Over all of this sits the problem of policing whatever laws eventually get passed. Do the Police have the resources to doorknock suburbia and/or trawl the papers looking for suburban operators? More to the point will they bother when there is plenty of "real" crime to deal with?
Sadly, we live in an age when Government seems hell-bent on regulating everything and in all probability they will keep worrying at this problem without achieving much.

It's interesting the police have time to go up north in droves to deal with protestors so they have no problems dealing with religious zealots to eliminate prostitution, they don't want to deal with real crime you can see that with all the home invasions, bashings and car stealing, let alone shootings etc. it's all ass about.

There are plenty of laws now for them to deal with Asian brothels setting up, it's just they are too lazy to deal with them and judges to stupid to do their jobs, thus the need to make more laws, most as an excuse to control the masses, you can see it with all the other laws they create.

G

Gentleman

To stop the Asian brothels they could do it the New Zealand way. Over there you have to be a NZ citizen to be able to work. I'm not sure if this is still the case. Maybe Alecia can let us know.