• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

ANZAC Day 2020

sabredog

Steppin' Out
Legend Member
Really wonderful to see neighbours up and down the street solemnly paying their respects for those that have sacrificed themselves for the greater good.
V humbling and emotional.
Very solemn and moving seeing the row of candles aglow in the pre-dawn light along the street this morning.

I reckon this might be a great alternative from this day on for those not wanting to or cannot attend the traditional dawn service.

Lest We Forget.

sabredog

Steppin' Out
Legend Member
I spend a hour or so after the driveway service re-reading my grandfather's and great great uncle's war records.

My great grandmother (his older sister and only relative in Australia) wrote many letters to the Australian war office trying to find out anything, anything at all about where her brother had gone missing, then the horrible telegram stating he was now listed as missing presumed KIA. He remains one of those who were never truly laid to rest because they never found his body among the fallen. 😢

MikeB

Legend Member
I spend a hour or so after the driveway service re-reading my grandfather's and great great uncle's war records.

My great grandmother (his older sister and only relative in Australia) wrote many letters to the Australian war office trying to find out anything, anything at all about where her brother had gone missing, then the horrible telegram stating he was now listed as missing presumed KIA. He remains one of those who were never truly laid to rest because they never found his body among the fallen. 😢
Spent time rereading letters sent to my great grandfather by the army returning the personal effects of two of his sons, one a machine gunner killed in Eype whose body remains somewhere in the mud, and his memorial is on the Menin Gates, the second an officer in the Light Horse killed at Beertheba and buried at Ramala War Cemetery.

For the first his entire personal effects comprised one leather watch band and cover, for the second two trunks comprising saddle, riding gear and officers dress uniforms. incredible contrasts, but not sure whether any of it would have eased the pain. Their brother, my grandfather served along with them at Gallipoli but was wounded and ultimately discharged so was perhaps the lucky one. However he then lost his 21 year old son at Eora Creek on the Kokoda track in WW 2, so had to relive the trauma again.

Makes me appreciate how trivial the sacrifices we are currently being requested to make are by comparison.

So glad to see 7 out of 9 neighbours in our street made the effort to remender this Anzac Day.