• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Another 2 Plane crash... When will it end....

Ms Sue

Legend Member
AN Air Algerie flight that went missing en route from Burkina Faso to Algiers with 119 people on board has crashed, officials say.

“I can confirm that it has crashed,” an Algerian official told Reuters, declining to give details of where the plane was or what caused the accident.

Aviation sources said the aircraft was a McDonnell Douglas MD-83 leased from Spanish company Swiftair carrying passengers of different nationalities including French and Spanish nationals.

Its six-member crew were all Spanish, said Spain’s airline pilots’ union Sepla, while Swiftair confirmed the aircraft had gone missing less than an hour after takeoff from Ouagadougou.

PASSENGERS FROM AFRICA, EUROPE, CANADA AND LEBANON

Burkina Faso’s transport minister said 50 French nationals were among those on-board, along with 24 Burkina Faso nationals, six Lebanese, five Canadians, four Algerians, two Luxembourg nationals, one Swiss, one Nigerian, one Cameroonian and one Malian.

Transport Minister Jean Bertin Ouedraogo also said the plane sent its last message around 0130 GMT (9:30pm EDT), asking Niger air control to change its route because of heavy rains in the area.

France’s Transport Minister Frederic Cuvillier said after a government meeting that top civil aviation officials were holding an emergency meeting and a crisis cell had been set up.

PLANE DISAPPEARED IN MALI AIRSPACE

Earlier reports had said the plane was a DC-9.

“The plane disappeared at Gao (in Mali), 500 kilometres from the Algerian border. Several nationalities are among the victims,” Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal was cited as saying by Algerian radio.

An Air Algerie source earlier said contact was lost while the airliner was still in Malian airspace and approaching the border with Algeria. Its destination was the capital, Algiers.

Air Algerie said the company initiated an “emergency plan” in the search for flight AH5017, which flies the four-hour passenger route four times a week.

The official Algerian news agency said air navigation services lost track of the plane early on Thursday (11.55am AEST).

The flight path of Flight AH5017 from Ouagadougou, the capital of the west African nation of Burkina Faso, to Algiers was not immediately clear.

Ougadougou is in a nearly straight line south of Algiers, passing over Mali where unrest continues in the north.

CONFLICTING REPORTS

There were conflicting reports about the plane, with the International Business Timesstating that the plane had crashed in Niger due to bad weather.

“The flight was said to have been found near Niamey, the capital of Niger,” the report stated.

The Air Algerie source said contact with the plane was lost after it changed course.

“The plane was not far from the Algerian frontier when the crew was asked to make a detour because of poor visibility and to prevent the risk of collision with another aircraft on the Algiers-Bamako route,” the source said.

UNSTABLE SITUATION IN MALI

Despite an international military intervention still under way, the situation remains unstable in northern Mali, which was seized by jihadist groups for several months in 2012.

On July 17, the Bamako government and armed groups from northern Mali launched tough talks in Algiers aimed at securing an elusive peace deal, and with parts of the country still mired in conflict.

ANOTHER AIR DISASTER FOR ALGERIA?

One of Algeria’s worst air disasters occurred in February this year, when a C-130 military aircraft carrying 78 people crashed in poor weather in the mountainous northeast, killing more than 70 people.

The plane was flying from the desert garrison town of Tamanrasset in Algeria’s deep south to Constantine, 320 kilometres east of Algiers.

Tamanrasset was the site of the country’s worst-ever civilian air disaster, in March 2003.

In that accident, all but one of 103 people on board were killed when an Air Algerie passenger plane crashed on takeoff after one of its engines caught fire.

The sole survivor, a young Algerian soldier, was critically injured.

In December 2012, two Algerian military jets on a routine training mission collided in midair near Tlemcen in the northwest, killing both pilots.

A month earlier, a twin-turboprop CASA C-295 military transport aircraft, which was carrying a cargo of paper for the printing of banknotes in Algeria, crashed in southern France.

The five soldiers and one central bank representative on board were all killed.

Taiwan TransAsia Airways plane crashes during emergency landing, killing passengers
At least 42 people have been killed in a plane crash in Taiwan, officials said, with witnesses and local media reporting the flight came down in a storm after an aborted landing.

Eleven people were reported to have survived, while two French nationals had been confirmed as being on board.

TransAsia Airways flight GE222 was carrying 58 people on a domestic flight when it crashed into houses near Magong airport on the Penghu island chain after requesting a second attempt to land there, local media reported.

The ATR 72-500 twin turboprop was flying from the southwestern city of Kaohsiung to the islands off the west coast and had been delayed due to bad weather as Typhoon Matmo pounded Taiwan, according to the authorities.

“We have found 42 bodies and some body parts so far,” an official surnamed Tsai at the Penghu county fire department told AFP early on Thursday

“There were 58 people on board including four crew members, four children and, so far, according to the information we have, 12 were injured and were sent to hospitals while 46 were missing,” Transport Minister Yeh Kuang-shih told reporters earlier.

Two French nationals were on board the plane and the de facto French embassy had been notified, Yeh said.
There were no immediate reports of casualties on the ground after the plane smashed into houses in the village of Sisi, a couple of kilometres from Magong airport.

Taiwan’s Civil Aeronautics Administration director general Shen Chi earlier said 51 were feared dead in the crash, but later revised the figure to 47.

“The control tower lost contact with the aircraft soon after they requested a go-around (second attempt to land),” Shen told reporters.

Local fire chief Hung Yung-peng told TVBS there were 11 survivors, with all others on board feared dead.
“We rushed 12 people to hospitals soon after our arrival,” Hung said.

“One died at the hospital.” Several television stations also quoted witnesses saying the plane was on fire before it crashed.

Television footage showed anxious relatives of passengers gathered at TransAsia’s counter at Kaohsiung airport, while the airline’s president Chooi Yee-choong bowed in front of television cameras to apologise for the accident.
Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou’s office said in a statement that it was a “very sad day in Taiwan’s aviation history” and instructed relevant units to clarify the case soon.

Taiwan’s Central News Agency cited the head of the fire department in the Taiwanese county of Penghu as saying that seven people were also injured in the crash on Taiwanese airline, TransAsia Airways.

The report cites the Civil Aviation Administration as saying the flight crashed on Wednesday with 54 passengers and four flight crew on board.

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
Flying remains the safest way to travel... statistically speaking. Many more will die on the roads, but because of the much larger numbers of casualties per incident (albeit in far fewer air crashes), it looks worse than it is.

Obviously, cold hard numbers don't alter the tragedy for the individuals and loved ones involved. :(

sunyun

Legend Member
Sadly, the reality is that every time you entrust your life to a machine - whether it has wings or four wheels, you are gambling.

Mostly you win, but sometimes you lose.

Because of the vast array of circumstances required to come together to place you at any one given spot when the tires leave the road, or the missile trail comes up from below, it is a matter of pure luck.

If you don't like it, don't drive or fly - or get religion.

There's nothing else you can do.

Best thing we can do - grieve for the dead, and don't let it stop you from flying or driving.

Cheers.

R

Raye@Langtrees

When listening to all theses air crashes, really makes me scared. I'm terrified of flying at the best of times now I'm really off the wall. It takes a lot for me to get on a plane....glad we not in war zone Aussies to NZ...but still scary. :shy::shy:

DDxoxo

Live, Love & Believe
Legend Member
My cousin a pilot with Singapore Airlines always says that the flying is really safe if we consider the statistics of how many flights there are everyday everywhere in the world private, domestic and commercial

......compared to the number of fatalities from commercial planes against the accidents caused by car

crashes...... I don't know .... but it is scary....

Taryn

Bronze Member
Yes its scary stuff!!

Personally, I commute to work and catch numerous domestic flights per year no different to anyone travelling /commuting by car, bus, ferry or train these days...
We are so lucky and its great to know that here in Australia, we have a very impressive safety track record.
Makes me wonder if all other Countries should set their standards higher by having Australian Aviation train their ground staff ???

XLNC

Legend Member
Yes, Australian aviation safety has been the envy of the world for decades, with no fatal airline crashes in the jet age. This has been achieved through a combination of significant investment in high quality training and maintenance, the instilling of a robust safety culture, a deliberate policy of exceeding minimum standards, as well as a bit of good fortune -- there have been a number of close calls where disaster has been averted, e.g. QF32 in 2010, where both excellent pilot training and experience also played a major part in the survival of the aircraft, passengers and crew.
r739519_6036056.jpg

However, since deregulation which has opened up the domestic and international market to new entrants and seen fares plummet, the system has been under increasing cost pressure for several years, with even Qantas outsourcing some heavy maintenance to Asian countries with far less impressive safety records simply because it is cheaper and they are forced to compete with airlines from such countries. Senior management continues to try and force crew, engineers and other vital staff, who each play important parts in the overall safety system, to accept reduced pay and conditions for the same reason... while continuing to remunerate themselves handsomely if not obscenely.

You really do get what you pay for in this high tech, high cost industry, so if you can afford it (and I know not everybody is in that fortunate position), fly with a reputable airline rather than the one offering the absolute lowest fare, even if it means paying a little more. You will not only feel and actually be safer, odds are you will be supporting an operator who invests more than its competitors in safety. Of course, there are no guarantees in this life, it's a matter of playing the odds and making the best possible choices.

For this reason, I choose to fly Qantas wherever possible. No, I do not work for the airline and never have. Yes, I do own a small parcel of (now largely worthless) shares, but that has no bearing on my decision -- even my life is worth far more than a measly few grand!

DDxoxo

Live, Love & Believe
Legend Member
You realise with these 2 crashes it means we are done ....
Things happen in 3s is the superstition !

No more air crashes for now .....

XLNC

Legend Member
You realise with these 2 crashes it means we are done ....
Things happen in 3s is the superstition !

No more air crashes for now .....

Unless you're MAS, I which case you'd still be waiting for the third! :eek:

XLNC

Legend Member
Oops! Sorry. :facepalm: I'm not superstitious and wouldn't change my plans if I'd already made a booking. If I worked for MAS, I'd be more concerned about the company's financial viability than another crash. It wasn't in the best shape before March.

DDxoxo

Live, Love & Believe
Legend Member
Oops! Sorry. :facepalm: I'm not superstitious and wouldn't change my plans if I'd already made a booking. If I worked for MAS, I'd be more concerned about the company's financial viability than another crash. It wasn't in the best shape before March.

So true..... yes my friends who are the pilots are pretty worried - their only hope is that because it is the country's airline & apparently their top guys in the country rub shoulders with REALLY RICH Friends ,,, they are saying the government will pull out all stops to save the airline.....