A thing called loyalty....

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
How do you reward someone for loyalty??

A couple people I know are about to be working for their company for 20 years, if you were a boss how do you think they should be rewarded??
What about for 10 years or 15??

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
If the company is anything like the one i worked for probably nothing was there 27 yrs had accident and taken of road company concerned bout my illnesses made to go on sick leave LSL FOR 12 mths then when all leave finished offered job back but cond wouldve been to hard for me to handle so had to resign.......dont blieve theres such a thing as loyalty anymore wasnt even recognised for my 25 yrd

Natalie

Perth VIP Reception
Gold Member

A couple people I know are about to be working for their company for 20 years, if you were a boss how do you think they should be rewarded??
Hi billybones,

I think loyalty goes a long way. I'm pretty sure that most companies in Australia reward 10 years and 20 years with long service leave. People love recognition for hard work so a pay rise would always be welcome.

xoxox

Natalie Jones

Dallas

Legend Member
I always found it a great reward to be able to get - over time at least, a minor perk here and there that wasn't given to newer employees. So one of them was the ability to borrow one of the company utes on a weekend when I was wanting to pick up some landscape supplies or move furniture etc. It wasn't a real cost to the organisation but it showed trust and made me feel like I was part of the family, and this only encouraged loyalty.

Happy2

Legend Member
I always found it a great reward to be able to get - over time at least, a minor perk here and there that wasn't given to newer employees. So one of them was the ability to borrow one of the company utes on a weekend when I was wanting to pick up some landscape supplies or move furniture etc. It wasn't a real cost to the organisation but it showed trust and made me feel like I was part of the family, and this only encouraged loyalty.
You forgot the Bloody FBT So I bet the company paid something to lend you the car
But you should now know this Dear Mr Dallas ;)

Dallas

Legend Member
They got around the FBT by me filling in the log book that I was doing sonething work related. Yeah the FBT was the government saying, only politicians are allowed fringe benefits, not you ordinary people :eek:

Xtraman

珍愛生命
Diamond Member
Will see how things go next week ;)
I reach 25yrs with my company on Thursday and they are retrenching my department this coming week :(
Will be interesting to see their loyalty on that one hey.

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
The day or even week came around that i'd been there 25yrs not 1 person from m/ment or Head office ever came to congratulate me, even took em 19 yrs to realize id been there 10yrs also got awarded 20yr after id been there 22

markeys

Foundation Member
Employee/employer loyalty is an old fashioned idea that probably never really existed except in some rare circumstances and people.

Plenty of modern employers see someone who wants to try and hang around for 20 years as a liability, employees are often seen at their best when new and always go that extra mile to impress the employer but will start deteriorate toward 2-3 years and then expect more leeway/whatever as a long term employee as well as being more set in their / or older ways and process, as well as far more expensive to terminate after around 5 years when pro rata long service often kicks in.

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
After 10 years, nobody realised I'd been there that long.

After 15 years, they rewarded me with more work.

After 20 years, I embezzled $20,000,000 and am currently living in the Bahamas.

Happy2

Legend Member
I know its on a far smaller and different scale
But I have two offsiders And just a few little forms of appreciation make all the difference They are happy and I have loyal slaves ( sorry must have been a typo) loyal staff, who are loyal to the farm
Only last year a neighbour offered a better wage But they stayed on with me

ozwarlock67

Legend Member
The day or even week came around that i'd been there 25yrs not 1 person from m/ment or Head office ever came to congratulate me, even took em 19 yrs to realize id been there 10yrs also got awarded 20yr after id been there 22
Not Goodman Fielder is it, dude?

Happy2

Legend Member
I reach 25yrs with my company on Thursday and they are retrenching my department this coming week :(
All the best with this Xtraman

L

Locoman

I know its on a far smaller and different scale
But I have two offsiders And just a few little forms of appreciation make all the difference They are happy and I have loyal slaves ( sorry must have been a typo) loyal staff, who are loyal to the farm
Only last year a neighbour offered a better wage But they stayed on with me
Thats great if you look after your employees they will in return look after you. Stands to reason less money but good working conditions and they are happy 2 stay.

L

Locoman

Hope it all works out for you but if you are just a big of a shit stirrer there, as you are here I am worried for you.

Dallas

Legend Member
Employee/employer loyalty is an old fashioned idea that probably never really existed except in some rare circumstances and people.

Plenty of modern employers see someone who wants to try and hang around for 20 years as a liability, employees are often seen at their best when new and always go that extra mile to impress the employer but will start deteriorate toward 2-3 years and then expect more leeway/whatever as a long term employee as well as being more set in their / or older ways and process, as well as far more expensive to terminate after around 5 years when pro rata long service often kicks in.

This is true, and it also means by turning over employees every 18 months to 3 years, they aren't stuck with old ones as in over 35. I know Joe Hockey wants to ditch Government funded pensions and have everyone working until their 80 (except himself) but it's the employers he'll need to convince of this who have a totally different view.

Parsival

Silver Member

BB - from my experience there are different ways of recognising long service...both financial and non-financial. Larger companies often have quite structured financial rewards that link an actual gift or gift voucher and an accompanying team lunch/dinner to particular service milestones. I have seen the value of such gifts/dinners go from $1000 at 10 years up to $5000 at 20 years. A gift of that value is tangible and more than just a token. I recognise that smaller companies may not have the $$ to match larger company largesse but it can be proportional...a gift or gift voucher, a weekend away with the partner, a dinner out with team can all work

As important as the financial recognition may be don't overlook the vale of public and genuine recognition of service. In Australia we are not very good at praising staff. We tend to be much better at highlighting poor performance - best practice at that in my experience.

Hope the above gives you some ideas.

Cheers
Parsival